Dug my old soundblaster extigy out of a box!

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
Ahhh the nforce 2 chipset and this bad boy, good times.

x0yxpz.jpg

Trying to get the original audio mixer to install under windows 7 64, Not going so smooth currently... Device is recognized by win 7 and drivers are installed, and it functions, but I believe I am missing some functionality without the audio mixer app.

Also trying to decide if this is actually better than my onboard realtek 889 audio. Its definately louder.... anyone still using this bad boy on the pc?

Still rocking the audigy zs2. It sounds better than onboard. ASIO is nice to have too. I'm waiting for the new DAC creative is launching eventually.

I've got some dinosaurs down in the basement. A couple of Creative SB Live cards, and a Diamond MX300.

Hmmm, well after a few hours of screwing around with trying to enable all the features of this old sucker, I have determined I am wasting my time as compared to my onboard Realtek 889 chipset.

I am not running anything above 2.1 / headphones on my computer.

The realtek cannot output an AC-3 stream to be decoded by the extigy.

SNR (output) ratio are about the same, but realtek stomps the extigy in possible sample rate output (24bit 92k vs 24bit 192k)

Well, crap. I had just started playing Battlefield 3 and noticed it uses dolby digital, and remembered my poor forgotten extigy in a box in the bottom of my storage unit, and thought i'd give it a whirl.

As far as I understand, DD and DTS have to be purchased (5$ each) from creative to enable, and that was assuming I could get the functionality to work under windows 7 64....which outside of whatever generic driver win7 has been installing for it, I have failed.

Welp, I guess this thing isnt COMPLETELY useless though. Anything that outputs an AC-3 signal (x-box, dvd player etc) can be hooked up to it and run to a 5.1 output from the extigy (assuming you dont have a home stereo rig already).

Bummer! Onboard sound is somehow, just, uninspiring. I need a box with flashing lights and nifty logos to tell me what im hearing sounds good damnit!

Hmm, I do have an audigy 1 and 2 somewhere in storage, and various old SB 5.1's and live cards. Wonder if any of those are worth digging up.

+1 for early 2000 equipment trying to find a home in 2011 computers.

Last edited:
Well, on 3rd thought, screw a bunch of numbers.

Running the optical out from the 889 to the extigy, WITHOUT the usb connected to the extigy seems to produce the best and loudest sound. The extigy has a volume knob on it, so I suppose I must be amplifing the signal slightly. Hmm.

Readin's fer idiots. Shoulda just used my ear eyeballs instead.

And it seems that I can enable dolby digital via the optical output in the realtek drivers, output it to the extigy which recognizes it, sweet! Now I just need 3 more speakers jammed in my headphones I guess...lol.

And it seems that I can enable dolby digital via the optical output in the realtek drivers, output it to the extigy which recognizes it, sweet! Now I just need 3 more speakers jammed in my headphones I guess...lol.

Look up the dolby headphone plugin for foobar.

Back