Due diligence for MacBook Pro shopping on craigslist

the_servicer

2[H]4U
What steps can one take to ensure one gets a good computer when shopping for a MacBook Pro on craigslist?

I have been in contact with the seller of this one. He is interested in trading for a computer I bought brand new from Dell.

So far I haven't even asked him any questions about his MacBook Pro. He has only asked me about the specs of my Dell.

One or both of us could end up driving quite a distance. How do I make sure I don't regret the trade later on?

That thing is a dinosaur. Unless the computer you bought brand new from Dell was a gameboy then I'd pass.

You can upgrade the memory and the hard drive to an SSD and it wouldn't have any problems with anything current or in the foreseeable future. It has the added bonus of an optical drive if that's of importance to you.

You can meet at an Apple store and they'll check it out for you if you'd like to swap but any water damage should show problems during testing. I guess if you want to ensure you won't regret the trade later on keep a copy of windows around so you can install it if you regret moving to OS X.

I'd be worried about a bad battery. You should be able to test everything else out...

So I shouldn't trade without having it tested or testing it myself?

The nearest Apple store is a hundred miles away.

I'm not talking about regretting a move to OS X. My concern is just getting a bad computer. I didn't even think of a bad battery.

I probably will not go forward with this trade. Seems like a huge risk when nothing is known about the history of that MacBook, while I have personally cared for my Dell since the day it arrived from China.

There's not much to worry about. Check how many charge cycles are on the battery and use the laptop for a few minutes just like any other purchase--I wouldn't recommend making any purchase without at least personally checking something out and that recommendation doesn't have anything to do with the product being made by Apple.

The apple store can check it out for you if you feel the need for outside verification for what you can determine yourself. You could call Apple and ask about an independent shop that may be closer to you. I was being facetious about how to ensure you don't have any regrets in the future.

Don't do it. Do you really want a Mac that bad? It's an ancient 6 year old laptop, performance won't be anywhere close to your Dell.

What steps can one take to ensure one gets a good computer when shopping for a MacBook Pro on craigslist?

I have been in contact with the seller of this one. He is interested in trading for a computer I bought brand new from Dell.

So far I haven't even asked him any questions about his MacBook Pro. He has only asked me about the specs of my Dell.

One or both of us could end up driving quite a distance. How do I make sure I don't regret the trade later on?

i am currently using Macbook ! but the prob is that its battery timing is not good so what is for this ?

Back