ducting cpu fan

Saw that yesterday, Japan named it a "Badong" lol, I'm going to try this whenever mine gets in, but I'll probably end up just using a 80mm to 60mm fan adaptor onto my fan floating above my HS fan.

thats not exactly earth-shattering technology. do it yourself. itll lower your temps.

I made one myself and vented externally. 15-25C in winter, about 5-10C currently.

3 words...
ugly as hell.

but if that's what you're wanting to try and don't care about looks (I really don't, but I just had to say it) it will lower your temps if it's done right. I had a homemade duct in my original Supermicro case that I made by melting some plastic sheets (gotten from some dead APC 1400 UPS) into the correct shape and then molding them around the top of the hsf and external intake fans. Fit nice and snug and was sturdy enough to survive moves to and from lan parties.

You can make something better looking than that by yourself. I used to have one made from aluminum flashing that ducted out the back of the case with a 92mm fan. Flashing is easy to work with and cheap. All you have to do is find something to hold the pieces together. Personally, I used gaff tape on the inside.

This is not really a new concept, but looks to be a nice pre-made unit. If my memory is right. This might lower your temps around 5c, but really is depended on your ambient room temp.

Search for fan adapter on SVC.com, they do about the same thing, I ordered one with 2 smart fans.

I know I'm stating something that's probably obvious, but I thought I should mention it just in the name of being annoyingly thorough: If you are using a flexible duct of the kind pictured, make sure the intake isn't placed near an exhaust fan, or any openings in the case. Otherwise, you will be pulling a lot of nice, hot air right back in, and over your CPU. Also, I'm not too crazy about the accordion shape of that duct. It would seem to create a lot of turbulence in the air column. Maybe a duct for a car's AC system would work better, and not look so floppy, either.

Back