Dually AMD64 ??

unless your talking about opterons, then no... only the opterons can operate in more than one cpu configurations

and uh last time i checked the a64 was just an opteron made a little different.

then again im prolly wrong on that.

Sojuuk said:
and uh last time i checked the a64 was just an opteron made a little different.

then again im prolly wrong on that.

right and a P4 is just a lil different than a Xeon, get the drift? :D

FLECOM said:
right and a P4 is just a lil different than a Xeon, get the drift? :D

well yeah

i meant the FX's seem to be exactly opteron1xx with a higherprice tag. while the 754's are i assume drastically different.

xeons just have more pins :p

the socket 939/940s are just like the 1xx however they lack the additional active hypertransport links needed to make and smp system.

I saw an article on this in I think last month's MaximumPC (June).

must have, made quite the impression. It's great that an article was read, but HOW does teh article relate to the conversation is always a good thing.

well it relates not to the original post but it does relate to my original post that made this topic change subjects.

sorry about that.

Wasn't you, we were trying to figure out what bob sagets article was about exactly.

well it probably wasnt about dual A64's :p

anyway... only cpu's that will run in SMP are opterons

/thread

true, but some people are determined to mod the 1xx opterons/FX series to make the run in dual.

the article was in the eXtream speed issue.....hummm and it was last month it had a dual op board to test if it is faster with 2 cpus or just one.......and the conclusion was that in "sumcase" yes it was faster.......but most games don't the one that does is q3 and that ran like slower in fps then it did on a single chip. that was almost word for word what the article said :D gotta love MaXPC :D

Spire_X said:
the article was in the eXtream speed issue.....hummm and it was last month it had a dual op board to test if it is faster with 2 cpus or just one.......and the conclusion was that in "sumcase" yes it was faster.......but most games don't the one that does is q3 and that ran like slower in fps then it did on a single chip. that was almost word for word what the article said :D gotta love MaXPC :D
WTF did you just say?

Anyway, duh is about all I have to say. Hardly any game can appropriately handle 2 CPUs.

It would htough, be nice to see a games that multithreads in such a way that wiht multiple cpus if can use a more sophisticated ai system

yes it would, but they dont... becuase programmers are rushed and have to meet retarded deadlines...

honestly i hope Doom III is multithreaded... they took enough time that it should run on PPC, Sparc, and every other chip known to man or something :rolleyes:

yeah, hopefully it won't end up like q3 on smp and just be slower though.

FLECOM said:
yes it would, but they dont... becuase programmers are rushed and have to meet retarded deadlines...
Well for SMPers like ourselves, there's always the hope that developers will see that SMT (or HT in Intel-speak) has created a 'critical mass' where multithreaded applications have a proper platform to perform... ;)

Back