Dual X5550 low PPD

Ultra Wide

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 23, 2000
Messages
1,396
I have Dual X5550 with 24GB 1333MHz RAM (9-9-9-24). I am averaging about 39k PPD. Is this considered low?

I am folding -bigadv units and it's getting a TPF ~24-26min.

CPUs are maxing @ 2933MHz per core and they have HT enabled.

I cannot overclock since it's a standard dual socket workstation.
 
Which unit? I would guess this setup would approach 65K ppd with a good bigadv unit. 39K for a P2684 would be about right.
 
Fucking fail on me.. 6811 is a GPU3 work unit. I know better, WTF Tobit? If you are running the GPU3 client and trying to do bigadv, then yeah.. 39K sounds right.
 
Fucking fail on me.. 6811 is a GPU3 work unit. I know better, WTF Tobit? If you are running the GPU3 client and trying to do bigadv, then yeah.. 39K sounds right.

I may have P6811 wrong then, I will double check when I get home. But strictly speaking on P6900 then, is 39K PPD about right? (no gpu or other folding going on simultaneously)
 
I may have P6811 wrong then, I will double check when I get home. But strictly speaking on P6900 then, is 39K PPD about right? (no gpu or other folding going on simultaneously)

No, it sounds low. If memory servers, i was getting ~45-50K when I had a dual X5550 running a video card. I think dual X5550s are right around the same as the dual L5640ES hexes @ stock speed, and my dual stock L5640 gets just over 70K ppd on 6900's. I would expect you to be in that range.

Let's start with the basics - OS? Anything else running on the box? HT enabled? NUMA disabled (this is a biggie for folding)?
 
No, it sounds low. If memory servers, i was getting ~45-50K when I had a dual X5550 running a video card. I think dual X5550s are right around the same as the dual L5640ES hexes @ stock speed, and my dual stock L5640 gets just over 70K ppd on 6900's. I would expect you to be in that range.

Let's start with the basics - OS? Anything else running on the box? HT enabled? NUMA disabled (this is a biggie for folding)?

Win7 x64 ultimate
HT on
NUMA off

Would having Registered RAM with ECC lower my performance noticeably?
 
ECC isn't going to matter performance-wise (or at least I wouldn't think it would...someone correct me if I am wrong.)

Any other process on this machine taking CPU cycles? I don't see anything wrong with your setup.
 
nah ECC shouldnt make a big difference. but ddr3 1333 vs ddr3 1600 does make a bigger difference and could account for the lower PPD.
 
This is a server board. It will not do anything more that PC1333. My times are actually based on PC1066 memory speed.
 
GPU mixed with -bigadv is not so good for the -bigadv.
 
GPU mixed with -bigadv is not so good for the -bigadv.

I am not running the gpu client that was just a mix up on the WU on my part.

I re-checked and now the PPD has gone up to 52k with this P2692 according to HFM.NET.
 
Better, but it still sounds a little low. I'll let you know for sure next weekend or so when I have a dual X5550 machine.
 
Is this a dedicated machine, or do you load it with other tasks? If you do other things that require a decent amount of CPU power, that will increase the time per frame and cause HFM.NET to report a lower PPD value.
 
For reference, i just fired up a dual 5640 box, which should be a little slower than you dual X5550. Initial benchmarking is showing 55k ppd.
 
Back
Top