Dual Video Card issues Win7

ShadeZeRO

Limp Gawd
I received my HP LP2475w in the mail today.

I added a Geforce 6200 into my PCI slot so I could have a 3 monitor setup.

For some reason, the machine becomes unstable after adding the 3rd display.
My dekstop goes Blank, but I am able to CTRL+ALT+DEL and logoff

HD content takes quite some time to load with the 3rd monitor enabled, and sometimes exiting games causes the desktop to hang for 2 minutes or so.

Any idea's?

Last edited:
I haven't tried that particular setup, but I have had good success with with a machine with an 8800GT and 8600GT, and another build with a 4890 and 2600XT. Those GPU's were all PCI-e though. Maybe the PCI bus is hanging up the system some how.

A 6200 won't accelerate anything HD and is basically useless. Get a newer card (at least an 8 series or HD 2xxx) and your problems will disappear. Win 7 and indeed, even Vista, were never meant for the 6 series hardware.

The GeForce 6200 is an XPDM card, it is fundamentally incompatible with your other graphics card.

The GeForce 6200 is an XPDM card, it is fundamentally incompatible with your other graphics card.

What would you recommend as far as PCI cards go.

I'm out of PCI-E slots as my GTX275 & Dell Perc 5/i use them.

preferably something local I can pick up at a compusa, bestbuy, etc

Microcenters around here carry the 8600 in PCI, although you pay a huge premium for an essentially worthless card. Maybe one of the USB adapters like the EVGA multimonitor laptop for adapters would work for you?

Microcenters around here carry the 8600 in PCI, although you pay a huge premium for an essentially worthless card. Maybe one of the USB adapters like the EVGA multimonitor laptop for adapters would work for you?

Never heard of it, link?

I'm not going to game or anything on it. Just Aero, outlook, etc.

What would you recommend as far as PCI cards go.

I'm out of PCI-E slots as my GTX275 & Dell Perc 5/i use them.

preferably something local I can pick up at a compusa, bestbuy, etc

For legal reasons I can't recommend anything. Just look for something that's WDDM compatible :).

I have the same problem you do (and oddly enough the gtx275 and pci 6200). I know this thread is from some time ago but in case you hadn't come to a conclusion I'll put down what I've learned. Windows 7 uses wddm 1.1 as opposed to 1.0 in vista. 1.1 has a few new features; what is relevant for you is that there is a new requirement: the card must support dx10. This isn't to say that a geforce 6 or 7 card won't work in windows 7, only that they won't play nice with multiple monitors and different wddm versions. There are some nvidia pci dx10 cards out there; the 8400gs and the 9400 something or other- I purchased the 8400 and I'll see if that fixes the problem. The 8400 is like 40AR on newegg

Legal reasons being? o_0

Not supposed to show any preference for any graphics card company due to working in the driver model team. Wouldn't want a particular IHV to make any claim regarding us advocating them over the competitors.

Back