• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dual supplies in a Stacker

Kil4Thril

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Messages
2,974
The CoolerMaster Stacker allows for dual PSU's (duh!). What I want to know is, will it affect the system to run dissimilar supplies, or should I keep them equal (as I really don't know the wiring setup on them). My planned system includes dual 6800GT's, 2 opticals, 3 HDDs (2 of which are Raptors), and at least one Aquagate or equivilent (possibly 2 if I can find a block for the GPU's). So, a couple of 400-500 watt QUALITY psu's seems likely- modular if possible. Does this seem reasonable?
 
You can run dissimilar supplies. You do need to use the adapter that comes with the Stacker though, so the second supply can be turned on. As long as you're meeting the minimum current ratings of both supplies you're good to go. :)
 
Do you have any idea what the supplied adapter is? I'm hoping to set this up so I can hide every wire and have decent/fairly silent cooling, while still looking good.
 
It should be a basic harness. When I used to run dual psu's with pelts, you just tied into one wire from the main psu and jumped the connector on the scond. It sounds like CoolerMaster included a harness to save you the trouble.
 
Kil4Thril said:
Do you have any idea what the supplied adapter is? I'm hoping to set this up so I can hide every wire and have decent/fairly silent cooling, while still looking good.


synch 2 PSU each as a seperate bus

1. Hardwired
2. With a relay

since the supplies arent supplied with the case I dont see how it could be hardwired


I also think that dual PSU might be overkill
and that a single more powerful PSU would likely be cheaper and offer better power quality for the money

and finally that if a dual PSU setup actually is required
one should be for the Computer and the other for accessories
without sharing any common ground with the computer components
(thus the 2nd PSU not powering say a HDD array)

Ive actually hardwired two PSU to run my NAS, and while one of the boards survives to this day
it might have been a contributing factor to the death of another
 
Thanks Czar, and that's actually what I was thinking. I was thinking of maybe using one supply for my cooling and maybe opticals, and the other for mainboard and Vidcard/s. It's all just a mental pic as of now, but I think it would all wire more cleanly if I did it this way. As for overkill, is there really any other way to do it :D ?
 
Kil4Thril said:
As for overkill, is there really any other way to do it :D ?
I can not tell a lie :p
(what is in the NAS now)

but Id advise to power the opticals off the primary as well

and Id even consider going further
any power conditioning scheme that employs shunt mode surge protectors (MOVs) will channel surges through both the ground and neutral wires, in an interconnected system that means networked equipment sharing common power and data lines will form circuits. Powerline surges diverted by the shunt into the ground will flow through the chassis, mobos, and through the data cables and to the data ports, they dont need to be big surges either to create alot of noise and impair or corrupt data transfers

here is a tutorial on isolated grounds here >
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=761954
more
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=845924&page=1&pp=20&highlight=SPS
 
Ice Czar said:
since the supplies arent supplied with the case I dont see how it could be hardwired

Use a pass through atx adapter (same as DDR Booster) between the main psu and mobo, the extra leads from the adapter would plug into the mobo connector on the 2nd psu, creating the same circuit as the one pictured in your "hardwired" link.

Since it would cost less than a $1 to produce, it would be the easiest way for a manufacturer to include it with a case.

Edit: I should aslo mention that diagram was similar to the first one that Gabe @ Swiftech supplied me with when I set up the pelts. Beware, not all PSU's use green for power good. I had a 300 watter that used a white wire for it. Confirm your connections by using a a labeled atx connector pic, usualy in your mobo manual.
 
Back
Top