Dual-ssd for boot drive or ssd/hard disk?

wixter

Weaksauce
This is for a new rig I'm building, I do some gaming but most everything else is simple office type applications so the only things would really stress the system would be gaming. Examples of games might be Skyrim, BF3, the new Sins Rebellion game coming in a few months...stuff like that.

I originally had planned to use 2 60GB ssd's in raid 1 setup as the boot drive for 64-bit Windows 7 ultimate. This drive would only be used for Windows and all other files would be stored on a different drive consisting of standard hard disks.

I was planning on sticking with 8GB of ram since there isn't much these days in the gaming realm that would use that much......well I guess Skyrim can address more than 4GB now can't it?

Anyway I guess what I'm asking is if the setup itself seems like it would do reasonably well for performance in multiplayer gaming setups for minimal data access times.

2 SSD's in RAID0 would be faster than a single SSD and a HDD. ;) Just be sure to keep regular backups of your array.

Why not one SSD for Win7 and one SSD for programs, and a HDD for storage. Keep regular imaged backups on the HDD.

Why not one SSD for Win7 and one SSD for programs, and a HDD for storage. Keep regular imaged backups on the HDD.

I run a similar setup, 128GB M4 for OS and Apps, and a 240GB Vertex 3 for games, and then all my storage is on a network server.

Back