Dual socket w/ dual cores?

darkeen

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 12, 2004
Messages
4,267
Does anyone here have a beast that would fit into this category? What kind of applications do you run on your system that require (or use for that matter) that many cores? I would like to know how well processors scale just for sake of interest :p
 
GIGABYTE GA-7A8DW
MSI K8T Master2-FAR7 Dual Socket 940
ASUS K8N-DL Dual Socket 940
TYAN S2875ANRF Dual Socket 940
Tyan K8SE Dual socket 940

There are dual core 940' Opterons. 4 Cores running on those board is wickedly fast.

I'm currently selling a K8se on fleabay :)

For applications. I would say POVRAY. Renderman, Basically any professional video/3d rendering applications. Photoshop too.
 
The Distributed Computing programs use all the cores.

I run BOINC:Einstein@Home on my dual core AMD A64 4400+ x2, which uses both cores separately.
 
My system is in my sig. I develop software and run biology simulations (work related) mostly, but there are a few other things I do that like all the cores. Once you go quad you never go back ;)
 
I would love a quad core system, partially for using it and partially for bragging rights :D How much would such a set-up set me back?
 
At least ~$2300+ for just the processors, memory, board and a worthy PSU.
 
Slartibartfast said:
I would love a quad core system, partially for using it and partially for bragging rights :D How much would such a set-up set me back?

Prices could balloon depending on what you intend to use it for.
 
as soon as the fastest dual core socket 940 chips are under $250 (i'll be waiting a while), they are going in this machine. i'm already sick of calling it dualdrop[H]enia :)

dualdrop[H]enia
 
as soon as the fastest dual core socket 940 chips are under $250 (i'll be waiting a while), they are going in this machine. i'm already sick of calling it dualdrop[H]enia :)
We'll see octal-cores by that time ;)
 
Moog said:
At least ~$2300+ for just the processors, memory, board and a worthy PSU.
$2500+, off the top of my head, since you want a minimum of 1GB per processor. I just specced out my dream machine (2xOptie 280 + 2x7800GTX 512MB + 4GB DDR + 8 Raptor74s + H/W RAID5 controller) and it came to a grand total of eight large. You can cut a thou from drives, two grand between the video and RAID controller, and you'd pretty much have my rig including the PCP&C 1KW PSU and EATX case to fit that massive mobo (Tyan S2895, my suggestion).
 
Order said:
We'll see octal-cores by that time ;)
haha you're probably right, i'd love a 16 core machine! :) i know we'll never see more than a dual core 940 opteron, but a man can dream. barring any major hardware failures, i'll be with this machine for a very long time. i'd still be using my amd xp 1700+ if i hadnt gotten in on the tech tour deal, and i'd be about 2-3 years away from upgrading from THAT machine. i dont push machines very hard, and HL2 was surprisingly playable on the 1700+ with a geforce 5600.

dualdrop[H]enia
 
i have a dual xeon 3.6 w/ 2mb L2 cache per chip @ 800
and was thinking of upgrading to the new dual core 2.8 xeon chips
but someone said my setup is faster?
i use it mainly for 3d and video so i need to know if thats true.
 
Volkum said:
Indeed there is.
So, 8 cores total then? :eek:

Something in the back of my mind is screaming "OVERKILL!" While something else is screaming "I NEED IT!" :p
 
Unknown-One said:
So, 8 cores total then? :eek:

Something in the back of my mind is screaming "OVERKILL!" While something else is screaming "I NEED IT!" :p

Folding@Home :D
 
Volkum said:
Folding@Home :D


Hey! Folding is important and all, I know, but can't he give at least two of those cores to looking for aliens? ;-)




/I kidd, I kidd...
 
I want a 4 or more core machine to upgrade my multithreaded programming skills. I have no doubt that most of what I gained with 2-processor systems will need change. Not to mention everything I "learned" with that Hyperthreading nonsense.
 
quad dual cores, max out the ram, and a super slick scsi hardware raid array and you're only in a few k in pocketchange...almost enough for a new caddy...but damn would that be one kick ass rig...and imagine if some crazy bastard watercooled/phasechange cooled it?
 
Back
Top