Dual router question

Ok, so my computer is connected via cable to my dad's router which run's our houses network. he is incredibly paranoid about his network and frankly not very educated about it. I do a lot of torrent downloading and have never gotten good speeds because the proper port for utorrent is not forwarded. When I asked him if he could forward the port on his router config, he refused and said it would make the network vulnerable. I know that there's a slim to none chance of being exploited through a randomized port that is only configured for utorrent, which I trust to be secure. My question is this. If I were to buy a router for myself and connect that to his router, would forwarding the port on mine be successful even if the port on his is not open? I really don't know if this is even possible to do, or if it would make any difference between just having one router. Please let me know. thank you!

No it would not work, it would still be blocked at his router. When you pay for your own service, you can open/do whatever you want. Since Daddy is paying for it, he can do what he wants...pretty simple :D

use the neighbor's wifi and forward the port yourself 'cause you know their router has the default password on it still. just kidding that would be wrong.

would forwarding a port really improve the speed? I'm not sure that's how it works.

The short answer is no.
However if you can convince him to let you put a router in front of his router then you can do it.

What you can do, if it's feasible in your situation, is connect your own router directly to the modem and have the port forwarded to your machine, and then connect his router under it with the port blocked. That way, you'll be able to use the port unimpeded while his subnetwork will be fully locked down.

What you can do, if it's feasible in your situation, is connect your own router directly to the modem and have the port forwarded to your machine, and then connect his router under it with the port blocked. That way, you'll be able to use the port unimpeded while his subnetwork will be fully locked down.

And his dad suffers from slower performance from being double NAT'd, as well as very deprioritized and getting whatever little bandwidth (if any) is leftover from the kid torrenting.

Back