• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Dual or Single core A64?

Xeon22

Bad Trader
Joined
Jan 28, 2003
Messages
1,163
Well I have been debating on using an Athlon 3800+ X2 when I'm seeing so many single core optys hitting 3ghz+

I hear that currently single core is faster with gaming...will dual core actually be taken advantage of gamingwise in the future?

I'm just curious, cuz I can pick up a good single core for what? $170 or so? and sell this $320 CPU, but would like your imput.
 
I have owned x2 3800, opty 146 and now have a opty 165. 165 is best, comes with 2mb cache, dual core to future proof (most games I play already use it), runs cooler than my old CABNE 146, does 2.6 on air with ease.
 
wadec22 said:
I have owned x2 3800, opty 146 and now have a opty 165. 165 is best, comes with 2mb cache, dual core to future proof (most games I play already use it), runs cooler than my old CABNE 146, does 2.6 on air with ease.
What games are those?
Can I get the FSB on the DFI Ultra-D above 311 Mhz stable? Or Do I need the eXpert?
 
games include fear, quake 4, and cod2. especially quake 4. i can get my fsb up to 311, ymmv.
 
what does ymmv mean? is it yrmv? your results may vary?
Can most UItra-Ds do 311Mhz?
fear, quake 4, and cod2
Odd...i thought games that take advantage of dual cores aren't going to be out until end of 2006/early 2007 :confused:
 
In terms of "future proofing" yourself...dual core CPU's will start to come of age, and will be used more and more by future game titles and retail applications...for now the list is slightly limited...but things can only get better. Currenly single core chips seem to game SLIGHTLY better on the whole...but the lack of hyper threading was the only thing really keeping me away from A64 any great deal...the multitasking was lacking far too much for me when I had my 3000+ Venice...but now, a 3800+ X2 would be SOOO nice...used one of my friends, and it's all the same, day to day performance is part in parcel what I was used to with my few past Intel rigs.

Aside from that, if someone is REALLY into overclocking, dual core CPU's aren't AS fun to work with, as one core can end up having different capabilities/limits, which is why for the most part, single core opterons are overclocking that much better then dual cores.

For gaming and day to day performance for the average person I would say a dual core A64, even a lower end 3800+ with less cache would be the better move...
 
Aside from that, if someone is REALLY into overclocking, dual core CPU's aren't AS fun to work with, as one core can end up having different capabilities/limits, which is why for the most part, single core opterons are overclocking that much better then dual cores..
Well..I don't care about how fun it is..I just want 2.8Ghz for the performance.I would imagine a dual core Opteron 165 @2.8Ghz > FX-57 and $600 cheaper
 
{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
what does ymmv mean? is it yrmv? your results may vary?
Can most UItra-Ds do 311Mhz?

Odd...i thought games that take advantage of dual cores aren't going to be out until end of 2006/early 2007 :confused:

many games to come will be dual core optimized, true. however, if you use speedfan or a similar program, you can see how much each core is being utilized. i always run it on my 2nd monitor when I play games and such. by doing this i can tell you quake 4 is especially awesome at using two cores. ( I assume this was easier for id since they have coded their games to take advantage of multi-proc systems for awhile now) it manages to split the workload almost exactly in two. it actually is a noticeably better program on my 165 vs my 146. fear and cod2 are not nearly as efficient and have less dual core coding, but you can still tell there are optimizations present. ymmv = your mileage may vary. :)
 
wadec22 said:
many games to come will be dual core optimized, true. however, if you use speedfan or a similar program, you can see how much each core is being utilized. i always run it on my 2nd monitor when I play games and such. by doing this i can tell you quake 4 is especially awesome at using two cores. ( I assume this was easier for id since they have coded their games to take advantage of multi-proc systems for awhile now) it manages to split the workload almost exactly in two. it actually is a noticeably better program on my 165 vs my 146. fear and cod2 are not nearly as efficient and have less dual core coding, but you can still tell there are optimizations present. ymmv = your mileage may vary. :)
I know this is off topic, but how do you like your DFI Ultra-D?I was set on getting one until the Expert came out. I don't care for/need the SLI features but is the Expert more stable at higher Fsb.? runs cooler? no temp sensing problems?
I can't decide if the extra money is worth it if i don't need SLI..
-Thanks
It is better if you just post your opinion here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1028627334#post1028627334
 
lol well im going to M2 when it comes out anyway, and I don't see any benifits for me using dual core at this time, as the only cpu intensive appz I use are games. My mobo supposedly is going to have a card adapter to upgrade to M2 when it comes out..so going single core and putting more into other things isn't a big deal for me now.
 
it supports AGP and PCI-E
hmm..i could have bought it and used my 6800GT AGP until I felt like upgrading to 7800 series..
 
"one core can end up having different capabilities/limits"

just to clear something up, when overclocking a dual core both cores get clocked at the same frequecy, u cant have one core running at 2.4 mhz and the other at 2.6 for example :p
 
I have that board, and really love it. So far all I am running is 2.5ghz on my X2 3800+
 
{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
it supports AGP and PCI-E
hmm..i could have bought it and used my 6800GT AGP until I felt like upgrading to 7800 series..

just some fyi. boards that support both have very poor agp performance. your agp board will not run as well as it could in an agp only mobo. the only exception is with the newer ati chipset. not sure if his asrock is based on that or not, if so great, if not, you are still making a compromise. cool feature with new proc though, assuming it will perform on par with the newer boards.
 
the asrock board has a full-fledge agp8x port. There is NO COMPRIMISE on this board.

As per the original post -- if you don't plan on upgrading again for a while, dual core is the only way to go. Otherwise, single core should be just fine.
 
prtzlboy said:
the asrock board has a full-fledge agp8x port. There is NO COMPRIMISE on this board.

As per the original post -- if you don't plan on upgrading again for a while, dual core is the only way to go. Otherwise, single core should be just fine.

Seems you are right, the board is based on the new ATI/ULi chipset, like I hinted at earlier.
 
Back
Top