Dual NIC for separate networks

fooled

n00b
I have a System with 2 NIC's and run Windows 7 Home Premium. I would like to have one network set up as DHCP and the other set up with a Static IP. I know a router would be the best choice but the ISP does not allow a Router to be used. I want one NIC for Internet only and the other for LAN only. My 2 Questions are, is it possible to do this, and can I be connected to both at the same time? Thanks.

why would a router not be allowed? i've got 2 routers in my networking one, doing double nat. eat it verizon!

You can, its basically what people did before home routers were available. You'd just need the computer to be on, for the nat / sharing software on your computer to work.

Just be sure not to set a gateway on the 'internal' nic, just an ip and subnet mask only.

But since your computer could just be the router, then just install a router.

What isp is this? and how are they preventing you from using a router?

The ISP probably wrote it into their TOS. That's all. They have no way to enforce it.

Actually, most ISPs don't care if you have a router or not - in fact, they probably won't be able to tell. They care very much, however, if you use a router that attempts to advertise routes back to the WAN. Most home routers (dlink, linksys, etc) don't do this but if you bring your Cisco box home from the office it might. That is what they are trying to protect.

Go ahead, get a router. They are cheap and they will do what you want with far fewer hassles than setting up your main PC as a surrogate-router.

Thank you for the responses. And as to all your questions about not using the router is this. I'm in the Service overseas. Since some people have to share rooms the ISP does not want people sharing the price on the Internet. It works like a Hotel internet service where you have to log in with a user-name and password. We have tried routers, and it shuts down the switch which provides service for about 60-70 people. When we talked to their representative to get the service back on, they said that they can detect a router and will close down the 48 Port switch and not turn it back on until the router is removed. Of course most people who have 2 people in a room and only one Internet line, they try using a router instead of a switch and bam... no internet for like 4-12 hours. Happened more than once. And no I cant go to another provider since there is only one here. Thanks again for your responses.

Back