Dual Monitor question.

ruthless-

Gawd
I was wondering if there was any way for me to be able to play a full screen game like counterstrike source, and watch a movie with an s-video plug on my tv at the same time. I tried it and when the game loads on my main monitor while the movie is running on my tv, the movie re-adjusts itself and doesn't fit onto the tv correctly (a part of the video is cut off). Am I doing something wrong, or is it not even possible to do this?

System specs are:
athlon xp 3200+
1gb pc 3200 ram
Radeon 9800 pro video card.

Yeah, run the game in windowed mode and you can manage that without it being pushed off.

I don't know the real solution, but windowed mode seems to be the only easy one.

Yeah, run the game in windowed mode and you can manage that without it being pushed off.

I don't know the real solution, but windowed mode seems to be the only easy one.

But I hate playing my games and watching movies on window mode! :(

try setting the same resolution for both monitors, see if that fixes it then.

Dont know what causes it but might be related to that.

wow holy batman I did a doubletake on the date of this thread based on your specs :)

honestly I have no idea here, I've never gotten it to work correctly without window mode, nVidia or ATI, maybe lie and tell it the 2nd monitor is "above" or "Below" or some other scenario like that, and it won't push it off? (haven't tested it)

You may be able to achieve it by not using any part of your gfx hardware to display video (other than as a display buffer).
ie disable overlay and any hardware acceleration etc on the video player.

I believe it's actually the program that does that. In counter-strike I know for sure it does, and it does so because what if you have 2 screens and you get into an OMFGWTFBBQ?!? moment and move your mouse really fast to one side? Your mouse ends up on the other screen and you die. I believe if you put the movie on full screen first this should solve your problem since most video programs (windows media and powerdvd I know for sure) allow you to continue using both monitors while being used.

Make sure that counter-strike source is running at the resolution that you're running on your monitor. For example, if your monitor runs at 1680x1050, make cs run at 1680x1050.
If you run anything lower than that, it'll try to adjust the monitors to make it fit onto your monitor. For me, that makes it so when I have a full screen game on one monitor, my other monitor is affected at all. Hope this helps.

Okay, I tried what you guys told me to do. Using the same resolution on the tv as my monitor didnt work. Using the same resolution on counterstrike as my desktop worked, but gave me an error before i got into a game.

And mittwatten, i'll try that program tomorrow, its 12 AM and I got work tomorrow. I'll check back tomorrow to see if there are anymore suggestions. Thanks for the help everyone, appreciate it!

Yeah, if you don't already have it, listen to MittWaffen and get ultramon. Regardless if it fixes your problem or not, it's just a great program to have if you're using dual monitor.

Back