Dual Monitor: Problem Going Full Screen

tmbroe01

n00b
So I have a bit of a problem whenever I launch a full screen application and I'm a bit stumped.

Problem: Start fullscreen application. Primary monitor goes black, followed by secondary monitor. Both sit there black for up to 30 sec. Both monitors go back to desktop for a few seconds. Then primary monitor goes black again followed by secondary and again it sits there for up to 30 sec. Finally, application will launch. Once in application everything is fine. Upon exiting, this process is repeated in order to get back to desktop.

If I disconnect the secondary monitor, everything goes back to normal. This started when I updated to most recent amd drivers. I forget what I was on before, but I think I had previously updated around September of last year. It also didn't start right away. It didn't start until about a week after I installed the drivers. Even weirder, I've tried uninstalling the driver and running driver sweeper and then reinstalled the driver several times. Each time the problem will disappear for about a day, but then it comes right back. On the latest attempt, I only installed the display driver without CCC (I thought the newer version of CCC was causing it, I was on the older version before). Again, it worked fine for a day before the problem came back.

Anyway, if anyone knows how to fix this, or has any good idea as to what might be causing it, I'd be so grateful.

Specs:
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel i7-875K
HD 5870 (both connected by DVI)

similar issue with me.. was about to actually post a thread about it

Usually when im wathing a video in full screen on my second monitor and open another video, say a flash video or other, sometimes the screen will go black like you said.

the only thing different with my problem is i'll get the AMD driver recovery dialog saying it saved me lol

I just reinstalled windows after getting a new SSD and problem persists... maybe its the latest 11.3 catalyst? Don't remember this problem starting till after the 10.2 or so drivers

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1559534

9. Slow Display Mode Switching
Quote:
Symptoms:
Upon requesting a mode switch, each attached display will turn black one at a time (you may still see the mouse cursor). The displays will remain black for up to 5 minutes, then suddenly come back at the requested mode.
Once this has occurred once, it will happen on every subsequent mode switch until the computer is restarted.

Logging out, locking the computer, logging in, changing resolution, switching between Extended Desktop and Eyefinity, changing refresh rates, etc. all count as a mode switch. These will all take excessive amounts of time once this glitch manifests.
Note: Symptoms may not be immediately apparent. Mode switching may work correctly for quite some time before the bug kicks in.

Causes:
Unknown, but may have something to do with ATi's fix for cursor corruption.

Workaround:
None known, besides rebooting the computer or reverting to a driver older than 11.1(a)

Official fix:
Unresolved as of Catalyst 11.2

Oh, thanks so much for the info Rev. I was not aware that it was a known problem. It's disheartening to see there is no workaround, but at least there is awareness. I hope AMD is aware of it.

Back