Dual layer DVD?

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
What are they? Are the movies we watch now, i.e. the DVDs we buy from stores, dual layer DVDs?

yes, most are dual-layered....the technology should be out within the next year for the consumer market...I beleive you would need a new burner drive and the new meia to do it though....personally though, I'd wait until BluRay comes out...

Originally posted by Pack Rat 24
yes, most are dual-layered....the technology should be out within the next year for the consumer market...I beleive you would need a new burner drive and the new meia to do it though....personally though, I'd wait until BluRay comes out...

Not necessarily; from all indications current 8x burners have the laser power to burn 2.4x dual-layer recordables through a firmware update. Whether that actually happens is anyone's guess but it is possible apparently. As for Blu-Ray that's an entirely different ballgame altogether and you won't even be seeing Hi-Def DVD players much less recorders until what looks like late 2005 at the earliest in a remotely affordable price catagory. Waiting for Blu-Ray at this point is just silly; by the time HiDef DVD hits you'll be upgrading again anyway.

Back