Dual layer CD-Rs?

sigmend

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 6, 2003
Messages
1,303
I didn't know these were coming out.
Has any one had a chance to use these yet?
And better yet, What drives can write these 2 layer CD-Rs?
 
Nope :D
I saw a pack of them at my local computer shop, I would pick them up, but I am poor
I am usually up on technology, but this one snuck up on me
I think they can hold like 1.3GB
 
Originally posted by sigmend
Nope :D
I saw a pack of them at my local computer shop, I would pick them up, but I am poor
I am usually up on technology, but this one snuck up on me
I think they can hold like 1.3GB

Wow that is interesting. How much were they?
 
you sure it wasn't just one of the sony "double denisty" CDRWs?

basically, sony released a CDRW drive that could record onto special 1.3GB cds by reducing the size of the "pits" that were burned onto the CD.
 
^^Seconded. Felix88 seems to have hit the nail on the head. These are older discs, made by Sony, called DD-CDRs. They only work on a Sony CDRW drive, the CRX200 IIRC.
 
Originally posted by felix88
you sure it wasn't just one of the sony "double denisty" CDRWs?

basically, sony released a CDRW drive that could record onto special 1.3GB cds by reducing the size of the "pits" that were burned onto the CD.

Is that sort of like what that "gigarec" technology on the Plextor Premium drives do?
 
it's similar AFAIK, except gigarec that the plextors can do works on regular media.
 
I had never even heard of these DD CDs before, guess you learn something new everyday.

And Gigarec has the drive cram a gig onto regular media, doesn't need fancy cds.
 
Back
Top