Dual LAN? What do you use it for?

breetai72

n00b
Nearly every recent performance motherboard these days is coming with dual LAN chips. Some have dual Gb, others have Gb & 10/100. Seems excessive and an extra cost that isn't needed. I've seen use in servers for load balancing, but not on a desktop.

So... Does anyone out there use both? If so what for? It seems like they could use the space for something else more useful.

Having the PC act as a network firewall is the only thing I can come with. I only use one lan port; the other sits empty.

Yeah, I should have put the firewall reason in the orignal post. It's a good reason, but a cheap linksys router/firewall works just as well (if not better) and doesn't load your system with additional overhead.

the only time i used both were when me and my cousin wanted to play warhammer and did not have a router so I connected to his laptop using the second lan while kept my download going on on the first. Other than that I found dual lan to be pretty much useless.

ICS with another system when your going to college and they say if you put a switch/router in your room they'll suspend your internet privedges? :D

n64man120 said:
ICS with another system when your going to college and they say if you put a switch/router in your room they'll suspend your internet privedges? :D

Haha, I tried that but my school's network detected the bridge. So no dice.

Oh damn that would suck. Atleast with something like that I could play dumb and just get a warning, if I was caught

for a mobo company throwing on an extra etho port is cheap... just like now asus is making boards withi 2 ethos and an 802.11.... they are just trying to throw extra feature in to intice the buyer without having to upgrade their technology on the board... i would like to have it to run 2 dif networks or as a router... but a 10 dollar 3com card will give you the same thing....

w00t, thx for the idea, i have my windows box using ics to hook my new linux box up with internet now :)

Well you can buy a Gigabit Ethernet card from Fry's for $4.99.. not a good one, but still, the cost of just the chip on a MB for the MFG must be what? 10c? Well worth it at that cost.

==>Lazn

The second port can be hooked to a second private network running parallel to the first network, allowing file transfers to a NAS or a second server without bogging down the primary connection.

Actually, most universities put bandwidth limits on their dorm networks. So if you happen to live in a dorm, find a liberal-studies roommate who does not own a computer and take his network port as well. 2-Ports, 2X the bandwidth.

n64man120 said:

SNYP40A1 said:
Actually, most universities put bandwidth limits on their dorm networks. So if you happen to live in a dorm, find a liberal-studies roommate who does not own a computer and take his network port as well. 2-Ports, 2X the bandwidth.

hahaha... that's so true. I did that. The poor dude had no idea why I was so happy about his Literary-Theory major. :D

-Jazz

jazzwall said:
hahaha... that's so true. I did that. The poor dude had no idea why I was so happy about his Literary-Theory major. :D

-Jazz

ROFLMAO! And I thought my age group were the only ones who thought to do that!

Actualy I know of a second reason to have dual nic. One would be configured and set for your home network, the other for when you take your rig to LAN parties. Add in a firewall app like Norton or Zone Alarm and you can set a higher security zone on the Lanparty NIC to avoid any dirty PCs connected to the party while not having to worry about messing with your home network settings.

Back