Dual Internet Connections

clickclickw00t

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I'm in college, and the limit each outlet to 1Mbps up/down combined. I have two ports in my room, and I have two Ethernet ports on my computer.

Now, is there any way for me to "combine" the two speeds and pull 2mbps? There has to be a way to do this. A software or some kind of setting for me to change so I can do this. I want to be able to DL faster in bittorent and DC++ (oncampus).

Also, youtube loads slow like a bitch at 1mbps.

i thought you could select 2 lan cards, and bridge them.

but i doubt it will make a difference, college dorm inet is always shitty. live with it till you get own palce

1Mbps down should be fine for torrenting

I actually had a similar question to this, except I was also wondering if its possible to separate my two NICs so one is dedicated to torrenting because my internet becomes unusable when I am trying to torrent.

So, I'm in college, and the limit each outlet to 1Mbps up/down combined. I have two ports in my room, and I have two Ethernet ports on my computer.

Now, is there any way for me to "combine" the two speeds and pull 2mbps? There has to be a way to do this. A software or some kind of setting for me to change so I can do this. I want to be able to DL faster in bittorent and DC++ (oncampus).

Also, youtube loads slow like a bitch at 1mbps.

They make routers with multiple wan ports, this would be the easiest solution. It would not help you download 1 file in 1 tcp session faster. But it might help bittorrent / multiple downloads.

Yes almost all of the router comanies now have dual-wan routers.... they don't 'DOUBLE' the speed, but allow you to download two things as full speed.

They make routers with multiple wan ports, this would be the easiest solution. It would not help you download 1 file in 1 tcp session faster. But it might help bittorrent / multiple downloads.

This is exactly right. You can't download a single thing (webpage, file, or anything else) any faster, but it does let you have two purposes (like mentioned, one for torrents or what have you and the other for everything else).

i thought you could select 2 lan cards, and bridge them.

but i doubt it will make a difference, college dorm inet is always shitty. live with it till you get own palce

1Mbps down should be fine for torrenting

So bridging them would work?

for those of you who don't know what multi-wan routers are, check this out..

www.peplink.com

our company has the PePLink Balance 200/300 load balance router. It's awesome. When our T1 service goes down, our ADSL backup kicks in. ADSL's only $80 a month and makes great temporary backup to keep our server's chugging along when our main line's down.

www.peplink.com

our company has the PePLink Balance 200/300 load balance router. It's awesome. When our T1 service goes down, our ADSL backup kicks in. ADSL's only $80 a month and makes great temporary backup to keep our server's chugging along when our main line's down.

I can get faster ADSL than I can T1, so that's what my primary line is ;)

I have a cable modem as a backup (that way if ATT goes down, I have a whole other infrastructure to roll back to).

Unless you and the switch/hub you're connected to supports link aggregation you won't truly get what you want.

In the end though it might be more trouble than it's worth and you could run the risk of getting booted of resnet for violating their policies.

www.peplink.com

Not to hijack the thread but im planning on getting one and put dual 8/768 cable modems on the PePLink Balance 30, Do you think it could help on the download/upload speeds?

Not to hijack the thread but im planning on getting one and put dual 8/768 cable modems on the PePLink Balance 30, Do you think it could help on the download/upload speeds?

Not really for a single computer. Multi-WAN routers will allow an entire network to run better..because it will load balance across the connections. But on an individual computer level...most things done on the internet are session based...your traffic will go out of 1x of the internet pipes..not combined from all of them.

Quite a few makes of multi-WAN routers...DLink, Linksys/Cisco RV0 series (I've setup quite a few of these..they even have 1x model which accepts 7x WAN connections)

Not really for a single computer. Multi-WAN routers will allow an entire network to run better..because it will load balance across the connections. But on an individual computer level...most things done on the internet are session based...your traffic will go out of 1x of the internet pipes..not combined from all of them.

Quite a few makes of multi-WAN routers...DLink, Linksys/Cisco RV0 series (I've setup quite a few of these..they even have 1x model which accepts 7x WAN connections)

So what your saying is that on a single computer you wont be able to download ~1.5mb/s out of both of them but able to help the load on the rest of the network. (kinda what I was thinking)

I disappear for a couple of months and I guess the rules changed...

... oh wait, they didn't.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026346800#post1026346800

Actually if you wanna know the truth, I live in an old building and its 10MBPS ethernet, not 100MBPS.

So, while the rest of the campus downloads at a steady 10mbps, i'm stuck with about 1mbps on DC++. Hence, I would like to combine my two "10MBPS" lines to download at 2Mbps if that makes ANY sense.

So, while the rest of the campus downloads at a steady 10mbps, i'm stuck with about 1mbps on DC++. Hence, I would like to combine my two "10MBPS" lines to download at 2Mbps if that makes ANY sense.

Understood.

You have 2 10mbps (LAN rate) ports - each providing 1mbps "internets" throughput.

The problem here is that the hardware and software on both sides must support this. This is also known as "multi-link". Since you can only control one side - game over. Be happy you can get 1mbps

Dual WAN routers such as the Cisco 1811, and various permutations of Hotbrick and others with 2 WAN ports do not concatenate the WAN links. That is unless both sides are set up to do so - such as "multi-link". since you don't control the other side - game over.

"Teaming" and other software tech thats included on motherboards with dual NIC's also don't concatenate the speed, unless the software and hardware on the switch side also support this. In fact if you do manage to team your NIC's in your config you'll achieve a LAN rate of 20mbps, but still have the same 1mbit internets throughput. You only get 1 IP and 1 MAC address - and since you don't control the other side - game over.

See a pattern?

Dual wan routers are almost exclusively used for failover.

Understood.

You have 2 10mbps (LAN rate) ports - each providing 1mbps "internets" throughput.

The problem here is that the hardware and software on both sides must support this. This is also known as "multi-link". Since you can only control one side - game over. Be happy you can get 1mbps

Dual WAN routers such as the Cisco 1811, and various permutations of Hotbrick and others with 2 WAN ports do not concatenate the WAN links. That is unless both sides are set up to do so - such as "multi-link". since you don't control the other side - game over.

"Teaming" and other software tech thats included on motherboards with dual NIC's also don't concatenate the speed, unless the software and hardware on the switch side also support this. In fact if you do manage to team your NIC's in your config you'll achieve a LAN rate of 20mbps, but still have the same 1mbit internets throughput. You only get 1 IP and 1 MAC address - and since you don't control the other side - game over.

See a pattern?

Dual wan routers are almost exclusively used for failover.

thanks man i understand now... but, how do i know that the server side does not support multilink?

and about the torrenting on campus.. only music from waffles and what nothing else. my campus is really cool about torrenting as long as you don't get caught. trust me, kids are using nubwire everywhere so at least i'm not on that rung. also, the school doesnt release your name if you get caught with that shit so its fine.

thanks for the warnings and help guys.

i have a dual wan linksys rv042 router. it sucks.. it makes DLing one file slower than if i just had one connection, and downloading multiple files doesn't really do much anyhow.. what a waste of 200 bucks

i have a dual wan linksys rv042 router. it sucks.. it makes DLing one file slower than if i just had one connection, and downloading multiple files doesn't really do much anyhow.. what a waste of 200 bucks

Recent firmware? MTU manually set?
I don't have any 042's setup on dual WAN..just edge devices for wide area networks..the dual WAN setups I have are the 082 and 016s. They do a decent job...esp considering the features for the price.

Back