Dual-Input Auto Detection

rlakhani11

n00b
Hi,

I purchased a PS4 yesterday. I was of the belief that, like my previous display (Asus MX239H), the current one (Predator x34) would also auto-detect the active input and switch automatically. The DP is connected to the PC and HDMI to PS4.

The x34 actually is not doing that. Even if the PC is off, I have to manually switch the input to HDMI after turning PS4 on.

Is this a normal thing, like is the x34 missing this feature? Or I'm one of those unlucky ones with this issue.

PS. It's a PS4 Pro, if that is of any significance at all.

Thanks very much.

Nope totally normal. Look in the setup menu on the display to see if they have an auto setting. My Crossover 404K has both discrete settings as well as an Auto setting (I think my Dell and LG also do this). If you select /Auto - it works like you said but if you set it to /HDMI or /DP it will only take the signal from there.

No auto option. Just HDMI and DP.

I'm not amused by the fact that such a top of the line thing does not support something so basic.

Any way to achieve this at software level?

Unless you have everything fed through a receiver first before going to the monitor, I don't think you can do it via software on your PC, since the hardware receiving it (the monitor) won't know what's going on - and there's no way the PS4 will either.

BTW: A home theater style receiver is another option to control your inputs but that's only for multiple HDMI signals ... just a thought.

Then I guess what you mean is that, a monitor that has two or more similar inputs can auto switch between them, but there's no way for them to do that between dissimilar inputs.

Have I correctly understood the scenario?

All modern monitors I've used have had auto-switch, but you might have one there with firmware bugs, or a buried feature like ors suggested?

I tried what ors suggested but that also didn't work. Tom's Hardware clearly mentions what the "deep sleep" option is for. And it's the same thing I need. And it's not working as it's supposed to.

So then I guess my firmware is definitely buggy. Do I have the option to download the firmware and reinstall it? Can it be done?

Last edited:
Not familiar with your display, but my different model Acer has an option under System>Auto Source.

Sorry guys for the delayed update. But I may have misunderstood initially the DPS feature's explanation in Tom's guide. After some more testing I came to know that the DPS feature works just fine, that is, the active input does wake up the monitor when in standby mode.

What I couldn't achieve with this monitor though, was auto-input switching. Meaning if the last used input was DP and I turn on the PS4, the monitor will NOT auto-sense the active signal on HDMI and therefore shall NOT come out of standby. But yes if the last used input was HDMI, the DPS feature will certainly work as expected.

So there it is. My final conclusion is that this display does not have auto-source or auto-input switching feature which is quite surprising considering it being a modern-age hardware and the price point it's being sold at.

Anyway, I thank you all very much for your timely feedback and support.

Farewell.

Back