• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dual gpu`s verses single

YoMoma

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
201
Well the video card you see in my sig is toast so I am researchimg for a new one.
I may finally get a dual gpu setup so i have a few questions on that type of setup.
I paid $450 for my video card that is toast now and it only lasted me 2 years. I`m not willing to spend that kind of money again for a video card.
But Im considering 2 modest cards in Crossfire formation.
Will 2 XFX HD5770 cards working in Crossfire do as well or better than 1 card say in the $350 dollar range? At least if one card would go bad eventually, i would still have 1 to fall back on.
Not looking at spending any more than $350 on video card(s).
I do a bunch of FPS games and plan on buying the new Medal Of Honor in October and the new CoD Black Ops on November. I want a video card(s) that will get me the best framerate.
Any other suggestions on a better card or cards in my pricerange would be helpful.
thanks

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5316156&sku=P450-5770
 
XFX 5770 1GB $170 x 2 = $340
XFX 5850 1GB $280

A 5850 is about 10% slower than 5770 Crossfire. In terms of performance per dollar, the 5850 wins. Also, if you can save up for it, you can get a second 5850 later.
 
xFire and SLI always have overhead that keeps them from running as fast as a single GPU that was 2x as big and there're always some games that support it very badly. You'd be better off getting a single 5850/5870 card.
 
Go with evilsofa's recommendation of the XFX 5850.

XFX has lifetime warranty so if it dies you can get it replaced.
 
Go with evilsofa's recommendation of the XFX 5850.

XFX has lifetime warranty so if it dies you can get it replaced.


Got a question, will I be missing out on alot of this cards potential by just having a standard mobo that cant take advantage of the PCI-E 2.0?
It would be nice to spring for a mobo that has a slot for 2.0. but then i`d be going way over my budget. Besides I doubt I could find a board that has the PCI-E 2.0 AND be able to still use my current LGA 775 cpu chip.
 
2 5770s would definitely stomp all over a single 5850.

But the correct choice here is to get the 5850 and then get another one as soon as funds allow. Don't puss out and just get one.
 
+1 on pretty much all the other advice so far. Get a 5850 and then add a second one once you out-grow that one and finances allow. the 5850 is at the sweet spot for price/performance right now.
 
Got a question, will I be missing out on alot of this cards potential by just having a standard mobo that cant take advantage of the PCI-E 2.0?

Very little to none. Odds are good that your LGA 775 CPU will be more limiting for 5850 Crossfire than the PCI-E 1.x slot will. With a single 5850, it won't be an issue at all.
 
Back
Top