Dual / external PSU?

g1tigi

Limp Gawd
I have an HP Z640 workstation that has just two 6-pin cables for graphics cards (ugh). I'm looking to put in a GPU that requires a 6 and an 8-pin cable.

How straightforward would it be to just power the GPU from another power supply?

Things that won't work
1) plugging the two 6-pin cables into the GPU--theoretically the last two pins on the 8-pin connector are grounds; but the computer won't boot (error: "please attach pcie power cable")
2) swapping out the psu won't work because HP has some proprietary/custom connectors to the mobo.

thoughts?

A 6 pin to 8 pin adapter will make it work, as one of those 2 grounds is actually a sense pin, which needs to be connected for it to properly work.

What GPU do you want to put in, and what are the specs of the PSU?

Ah, good to know that the adapter will work, and also why plugging the 6-pin in directly did not work.

The GPU is a GTX titan (original), and the PSU, per HP specs, is a "925W, 90% Efficient Power Supply". Unfortunately there are no specifics beyond this. But seeing that this workstation can support, e.g. a Quadro K6000, I highly doubt that there will be any issues with these two 6-pin connectors being able to supply enough juice.

There are two E5-2680 CPUs in the machine already, but I think there should still be adequate headroom.

Last edited:
Back