Dual external IP w/ wrt54g

sparky3009

Gawd
I do phone support for an ISP and this is an unusual question and I haven't had a chance to mess w/ it personally.

Customer has 2 external IP addresses from us, DSL modem is set to transparent bridging going to the wrt54g (not sure what version). I cannot suggest installing ddwrt for liability reasons.

He had it setup previously but had reset the router. I could do it by bridging the router but he wants internal networking to be DHCP.

I googled it but couldn't find a good answer. Anyone know how to setup 2 static external IP addresses on this router? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, well I think we figured out the problem at hand.....

Modem was going to a switch, vpn box was plugged into switch, wrt54g was plugged into switch.

Going to set static external IP to VPN box and help him secure that later on.... and then set static IP on router.... He didn't mention that until I had been working on it for about 30 min. It's cool though, so anyways.... I want to try this out because it's something I haven't done.

Is there a way to do it? From all my searching, the only thing I could find (w/o ddwrt firmware) would be to plug the modem into a lan port on the router and set static routing on there. Haven't thought it out thoroughly, but I am definitely trying this w/ my Dads wrt54gs v5 and my DIR-615 Revb2 and see if it can be done w/ any router that supports static routing or whatnot.

I guess you could plug modem into a switch, then 2 eth cables from switch to lan ports on router and set static IP on those and static routing for each.... idk I'll mess w/ it. If I find out how, I'll make a tutorial and see if I can get it stickied on some forums. :-D

So long story short... I dont NEED to know the answer anymore, but if anyone knows how to setup 2+ external IP's, I want to know.

You need a switch and two routers.

DSL/Cable modem -> Switch -> routers (DHCP)

I get 3 IPs from my ISP.
One IP goes to my physical routers and two IPs go directly to my VMs.

You cannot use static IPs unless your ISP provide them to you.
Even then, they always register those static IPs to known host names or MAC addresses.

Alright.... well there probably is a way to do it but not the way it was intended to be done.

I'll have to check out ddwrt too, but mines a v5 so I might lose a bunch of features that the orig. v1-4 had.

Alright.... well there probably is a way to do it but not the way it was intended to be done.

I'll have to check out ddwrt too, but mines a v5 so I might lose a bunch of features that the orig. v1-4 had.

Routers that use two IPs are expensive.
I only know of Cisco having this type of routers. Even then, it is for automatic load balancing.

DD-WRT will support two external IPs only if your router supports it.
If you have VMware, then it is very easy to make use of those IPs without buying additional hardware.

Like I said, I have my cable modem and both a router and a VMware server plugged directly into a switch (really a vLan on my 16 ports switch).
The router gets an IP from the ISP for my whole private network.
Most of my VMs get their IP from my private network, but two of them also get an IP directly from my ISP.

So, all I have is one 16 ports switch, one router, and a box with more than one NIC; but I can make use of all 3 IPs from my ISP.

I use Windows' built-in IP filtering to protect the VM ports directly exposed to my ISP.
I could have used IPCop or any other firewall virtual applicance, but IP filtering works best for my purpose.

You could do a Dual-WAN for Simple Round-Robin Load Equalization with 54g + dd-wrt.

I was thinking of trying that out.... My dad would flip a tit if I bricked it though :-p

I might do it tonight and buy him a new one if he gets mad hah. The v5 requires the super micro firmware or w.e it is and idk if thats supported. I gotta get my OS running stable before I can test it out.

Back