• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dual Everything!

SLiLOVER

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Messages
304
I just got my lastest issue of MaximumPC and there 2005 dream machine has dual ever thing! Here are the hardware specs:


two dual-core Opterons 275s
Tyran K8WE
eight 1gb corsair DDR400 modules
Two Nvidia 7800 GTX 's
pc power and cooling 850 SSI
5 hitachi deskstar 7k500 hard drives
SATA netcell revolution
Two Plextor PX-716SAs
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi
Windows XP Pro 64 bit and 32 bit (dual-boot)


ps :this is just hardware not evereything cause there is so much! :D
bumps are highly appeciated
 
Dual Opteron 252's would be better for gaming than dual 275's. Dual core is nice, but they'll be no replacement for clock speed since the games aren't multi-threaded.

8GB of ram is excessive for a desktop machine. Especially for games. However if money is no object, I'd do it too. I'd also have gone with Raptors instead of the Hitachi's. I would have used some other drives for storage. The Hitachi Deathstar would never find a home in my box.
 
I love Maximum PC's dream machines, I would definately trade my rig for that.
 
I'd go for 1rank 2G dimms in that box :) and screw sata...get some nice15k raid action up & going...otherwise looks good!

Rob
 
No Linux or other open-source OS? The box needs some triple or even quad boot action!
 
Wow

VIdeo editing would be amazing like that

8gigs of ram? THats an entire file on just RAM alone.
 
I want to hurt them for using ATA disks. Those have no place in a dream machine. They should have a rack of 15k rpm FC-AL drives on a 4Gb/s dual attach raid controller & no internal hard disks. That way the drives can go in the basement and the machine can be nice and quiet while still pushing 800MB/s in disk IO.
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
Dual Opteron 252's would be better for gaming than dual 275's. Dual core is nice, but they'll be no replacement for clock speed since the games aren't multi-threaded.

8GB of ram is excessive for a desktop machine. Especially for games. However if money is no object, I'd do it too. I'd also have gone with Raptors instead of the Hitachi's. I would have used some other drives for storage. The Hitachi Deathstar would never find a home in my box.

you're on crack. you have 2 onboard SCSI and you say to get Raptors? come on! what kind of enthusiast are you!?! :p

dual 252's vs dual 275's... hmmm, tough choice
 
I am glad I subscribe to MaximumPC, cause I never would have known about that SATA card if it weren't for them.

Very nice. No "F6" drivers needed. :)
 
Stang Man said:
you're on crack. you have 2 onboard SCSI and you say to get Raptors? come on! what kind of enthusiast are you!?! :p

dual 252's vs dual 275's... hmmm, tough choice

I don't typically think about SCSI drives. Not worth the price premium for such a machine. But yeah I agree. I just didn't think about it in my earlier post. They used SATA drives in the "Dream Machine" so I just didn't consider it at all.
 
i also read that. Freakin awesome! $12k tho that was my last issue, MUST renew!!
 
$12K for that rig? What a ripoff.

See my sig? I build workstations, yeah. That's not even an okay gaming rig with four CPUs, and you can just completely forget real work - 7800GTX's and their Quadro brethren are completely worthless for hardware lighting. (Something about not even supporting it...)

Impressed? Not really. I can do faster for less. Much faster. Oh, and I can drive four displays at 1600x1200 @ 85Hz while rendering an engine in near-realtime on all four. (Yes, framelocked.)

'Course, if you want all four displays in a borderless VESA-mount rig, kiss the under $12K goodbye. I can only get 21" LCDs in borderless these days. ;)
 
Stang Man said:
you're on crack. you have 2 onboard SCSI and you say to get Raptors? come on! what kind of enthusiast are you!?! :p

dual 252's vs dual 275's... hmmm, tough choice

I am rethinking the 252 vs 275...
 
I'll have to get my hand on that magazine. I usually buy the Dream Machine issues. Thanks for the heads up. :)
 
Deathjester said:
Imagine BF2 on that. :eek:
I'd imagine it to be about as fast as on a high-end a64 and two 7800gtx's. Except for the load times of course.
 
AreEss said:
$12K for that rig? What a ripoff.

See my sig? I build workstations, yeah. That's not even an okay gaming rig with four CPUs, and you can just completely forget real work - 7800GTX's and their Quadro brethren are completely worthless for hardware lighting. (Something about not even supporting it...)

Impressed? Not really. I can do faster for less. Much faster. Oh, and I can drive four displays at 1600x1200 @ 85Hz while rendering an engine in near-realtime on all four. (Yes, framelocked.)

'Course, if you want all four displays in a borderless VESA-mount rig, kiss the under $12K goodbye. I can only get 21" LCDs in borderless these days. ;)

yeah except this is for gaming... I mean why else would they be using gaming video cards..? Also I would like to point out that the video card does MOST of the rendering these days and has very little to do now with the processor at high resolution which this machine will do day and night. The megahurtz bump on the processors wouldn't make much of a difference.
 
MrJohnson said:
yeah except this is for gaming... I mean why else would they be using gaming video cards..? Also I would like to point out that the video card does MOST of the rendering these days and has very little to do now with the processor at high resolution which this machine will do day and night. The megahurtz bump on the processors wouldn't make much of a difference.

It makes more difference than you think. Theres a big difference between a A64 3200+ and a FX-55 in games. Check out some benches. That's just about the differnce between a Opteron 252 and a 275. 400MHz for an AMD processor is a huge difference. In 3D Applications like 3D Studio Max, the processor is FAR more important than the video card. For actual rendering, not just drawing the screen, its mostly straight up number crunching. At this, with four cores, the 275 would be the better choice. For games the 252.
 
Tiny said:
I am glad I subscribe to MaximumPC, cause I never would have known about that SATA card if it weren't for them.

Very nice. No "F6" drivers needed. :)

I have a PATA NetCell SyncRAID (see sig) and it's just awesome. No drivers necessary. I can pull the card + Drives from one box, put it in another, and as long as I connect everything up the same, my data is still there.

Plus, if a drive does gork out on me, I don't lose data throughput unless I'm rebuilding the array. I need to back up the array once and test out the rebuild function though. Just for shits and grins.

Only reason I bought PATA was I had 4 WD120s from a 0+1 array, so I got the SR5000 on sale from TigerDirect (go figure) and picked up one more WD120 SE from BB.

If I could have my way I'd get 5 x 300GB or 500GB drives to get up to the 1.2 to 2TB range and just leave the box alone as a media server.
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
It makes more difference than you think. Theres a big difference between a A64 3200+ and a FX-55 in games. Check out some benches. That's just about the differnce between a Opteron 252 and a 275. 400MHz for an AMD processor is a huge difference. In 3D Applications like 3D Studio Max, the processor is FAR more important than the video card. For actual rendering, not just drawing the screen, its mostly straight up number crunching. At this, with four cores, the 275 would be the better choice. For games the 252.

That is what I have determined, 2 x 252 or 250 for gaming.
 
For a dream machine, i'd have opted for the 4800+ and a vapochil

Last year's 4.0GHz dream machine had better single threaded performance In quite a lot.

I'm not saying it's not a monster, it's a monster allright, but it doesn't know what it wants to be.
 
I am going to be one that agrees that any dream machine should include a couple (or 4) 15k SCSI drives in RAID0. Otherwise, not a bad rig.
 
Back
Top