• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dual Everything, See a Trend?

Ruffy

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 31, 2001
Messages
2,018
Does anyone else think the computer of tommorrow(Say within 2 years) Will be Dual everything? AMD and Intel are prepping dual core cpus, Theres a Dual GPU card out now, and SLI Solutions, If things keep up the Top of the line will be 2xDual Core Cpus, With 2xDual GPU Vid cards in SLI.

Sheesh at that point I'll be finally forced to go watercooling.
 
Dual core cpu does make sense over time for better multi tasking. However, SLI doesn't over time :) It will come and pass as it did previously. Of course, I had to be on bleeding edge and got SLI setup but I don't expect it to be trend that will continue on really.
 
See im not sure I agree with that. It would be kickass if I could combine a Powerfull card with a weaker cheaper card, Why? Dual/Triple Display without sacrificing performance, or having to pay 900 dollars for a video card(200-300 is my limit, even if I was working, i would not go beyond that)
 
I see where you are going, When i got dual raptors.... hrmmm

What I want is A Dual Processor, Dual Core'd w/ Hyperthreading System.... 4 Hard Cores, 4 Logical Cores..... Mmmmmmm

But of course we need something to take advantage of it :) Dual Operating systems?
 
USMC2Hard4U said:
I see where you are going, When i got dual raptors.... hrmmm

What I want is A Dual Processor, Dual Core'd w/ Hyperthreading System.... 4 Hard Cores, 4 Logical Cores..... Mmmmmmm

But of course we need something to take advantage of it :) Dual Operating systems?

WindowsXP 64, installed twice! Windows128

Or a Nix solution(But seriously, we want to game, why would we do that)
 
You are right about that dual trend.

To get ready for the future, I have purchased dual floppy drives.
 
i look at it as a sign that companies like intel, amd, nvidia, are all running out ideas to increase performance with a single chip. so theyre taking a easy way out by just running 2 together.
 
The_Terminator said:
You are right about that dual trend.

To get ready for the future, I have purchased dual floppy drives.

Fool LS120/240 drives is where its at. mmm Dual LS240's. 480 Powah
 
Ruffy said:
Fool LS120 is where its at. mmm Dual Drives, LS240

haha, i remember those things. i thought those were going to replace the floppy drive completely, and the floppy interface too.
 
acascianelli said:
i look at it as a sign that companies like intel, amd, nvidia, are all running out ideas to increase performance with a single chip. so theyre taking a easy way out by just running 2 together.

quoted for truth. ive got nothing to add to this thread. i just felt that what acascianelli said was very true. thats probably whats going on between all of the companies.
 
funny thing with intel is that their fastest chip is probobly the pentium M, which is based on a pentium III. if intel would develop this into a desktop cpu running at ~2.5ghz, it would easily blow away even fastest of current p4's.
 
acascianelli said:
funny thing with intel is that their fastest chip is probobly the pentium M, which is based on a pentium III. if intel would develop this into a desktop cpu running at ~2.5ghz, it would easily blow away even fastest of current p4's.

was it really based off a PIII, or did i get sucked into cheap marketing and lies where they said that it was a totally redesigned CPU built from the ground up for lappys?
 
TSS Modder said:
was it really based off a PIII, or did i get sucked into cheap marketing and lies where they said that it was a totally redesigned CPU built from the ground up for lappys?

from what i understand of it, its like a p3 tualatin with a few optimizations such as branch predictions and shit, and made to work on the netburst architecture, more cache, smaller manufacturing process. i think its a pretty good feat of the that they could scale the tualatin core to over 2ghz.

i would love to see a desktop variant of the P-M running on a 875 chipset with dual channel ram.

"dual-channel"...theres another one for us to pick at ;)
 
acascianelli said:
haha, i remember those things. i thought those were going to replace the floppy drive completely, and the floppy interface too.

FDC needs to be killed already
completely
god I hate it.
 
The_Terminator said:
You are right about that dual trend.

To get ready for the future, I have purchased dual floppy drives.

But do you have them in RAID 0?
 
Ya, he's right about the Pent-M coming from the p!!!...it's a powah(!) thing. IMHO, the FCPGA p!!! chip was the best, yes, the BEST, most reliable, least powerhungry, zippiest chip intel ever produced. That's why I have one in my sig...i've got an HT machine running a clock speed 3x as fast as my server, but it took me a LONG time to make the move on up. Up until last year dell still soldsome rackmounts based on the p!!! 1.4ghz tualtin. It cost a fortune.
 
tdg said:
But do you have them in RAID 0?

raid...thats another "dual" thing. i think we can all thank intel for putting raid controllers on so many chipsets. i see that some high end dells are even coming with 2 hdd's in raid 0 and they advertise it as being better. RAID has been around for a long time and its been just recently that the popularity of raid 0 and even 1 has skyrocketed. we used to have server farms where i work with huge cases full of 100 drives or so all running in raid level 50 or some weird level.
 
Dont forget, lotta mobos now have dual lan!

Mine does too. Tho I NEVER use the damn thing
 
Ruffy said:
Dont forget, lotta mobos now have dual lan!

Mine does too. Tho I NEVER use the damn thing

oh good god yes, how could i forget this one...dual network cards on a desktop system has got to be the most useless thing in the world. on a server, yes they have theyre place, but on a normal gaming pc they do not have any use. especially when they are 2 different kinds of cards, like if one is a 10/100 and the other is a 10/100/1000 of 2 different makes. at least on a server with 2 network adapters they are the same make/model.

now that im thinking of dual items on motherboards, im remembering motherboards with dual-bios chips, one being an award and the other an ami.
 
acascianelli said:
raid...thats another "dual" thing. i think we can all thank intel for putting raid controllers on so many chipsets. i see that some high end dells are even coming with 2 hdd's in raid 0 and they advertise it as being better. RAID has been around for a long time and its been just recently that the popularity of raid 0 and even 1 has skyrocketed. we used to have server farms where i work with huge cases full of 100 drives or so all running in raid level 50 or some weird level.
RAID's only dual with pretty basic setups. RAID5 is at least three drives, RAID6 is at least four.

As for multiprocessor, dual's (once again) the lowest number.

The idea for most things (aside from SLI, I guess) is "multi", not so much "dual".
 
GlobalFear said:
doesnt gigabyte make dual bios boards?

yea, i know gigabyte does for a fact but i think there may be some others too. gigabyte also makes that weird power regulator thing for their motherboards.
 
Ok, let me see if I got this right after reading everything. We've got:

Dual core CPUs (on the way)
Dual video cards (SLI)
Dual channel memory
Dual hard drives (RAID0)
Dual NICs
Dual BIOS
Dual monitors (you guys forgot that one)



What's next for the dually bandwagon?
 
Dual Mice:
an mx1000 to impress your friends that don't have the lag issue,
and an mx510 for those friends that will laugh at you for using a cordless mouse in an fps.
 
Mice with dual green lasers! the mx1337

If they make that I want a cookie.

Forgot dual core video cards and dual cpu mobos!
 
Ruffy said:
Fool LS120/240 drives is where its at. mmm Dual LS240's. 480 Powah
Yea I remember those things too. I wanted one but never got one. Nobody else had them so I couldnt transfer stuff any way.
 
Ya there was a topic here a while ago about the future of PC's and this was already talked about.
 
Astral Abyss said:
Ok, let me see if I got this right after reading everything. We've got:

Dual core CPUs (on the way)
Dual video cards (SLI)
Dual channel memory
Dual hard drives (RAID0)
Dual NICs
Dual BIOS
Dual monitors (you guys forgot that one)



What's next for the dually bandwagon?

dont forget that there are dual GPU cards out there now. gigabyte just released one last week: a dual GPU 6600GT.
 
dual optical mice... logitech mouseman dual optical. It has two sensors!

Too bad they don't make it anymore :(

As for companies just doubling up because they can't improve the technology of one... they probably can, it's just not cost effective yet. To get the performance of a two processor system out of one chip would cost a hell of a lot more.
 
Dual sound.... My SB has been doing stereo for years. i guess I was ahead of the times.....
 
Don't laugh, some people have dual soundcards. Audigy for gaming and dvd watching,
and something like emu 404 for quality stereo listening.

But let's not forget dual serial ports. They are sure to make a comeback.
 
Im thinking of dual soundcard setup
Chaintech 710 for audio listening, and a Audigy for gaming
 
So lets piece this together, In the future My computer will have

A motherboard with dual slots, In each slot there is a Dual Core CPU, The heatsink have two fans each for dual cooling per slot... There will be Dual Northbridges cooled by Dual fans, and a dual bios setup, with dual psu connectors.

I'll be running Dual Channel Memory Setup, Per CPU Slot

My video card will be Dual GPU running in SLI

My Harddrives will be Dual Raptors

My Lan will be Dual Gigabit, Connected to Dual Gigabit switches, which connect to Dual Wifi Adapters for maximum coverage.

My System will have Dual Soundcards, Different makes/models.

I'll have Dual DVD Burners. Both BluRay

I'll have a Dual Redudant Power supply

I'll Have Dual Keyboard inputs, 1 wired and 1 wireless for traveling around

I'll have Dual Mice, 1 wired, 1 wireless trackball

I'll Have Dual Monitors, And Dual LCD Projectors for watching movies(This might be interesting, Two cheap homemade Projectors aiming at the same screen, More brightness, better richness in color)

The computer will be riced out with Dual Coldcathods
And it will have Dual 120mm Fans on the case.

My speakers will be Dual High end logitechs
 
You forgot the dual headphones so that the two of you ( you and your clone ) can hear the same track.

Luck............. :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif
 
Tigerbiten said:
You forgot the dual headphones so that the two of you ( you and your clone ) can hear the same track.

Luck............. :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

gonna need dual amps for those
 
acascianelli said:
i look at it as a sign that companies like intel, amd, nvidia, are all running out ideas to increase performance with a single chip. so theyre taking a easy way out by just running 2 together.
...kinda. I don't think for a moment the getting "dual" CPU's / GPU's to play nice and actually outperform a fast single processor is the "easy" way out, but I am starting to belive that it's the only way given the current state of technology and chip architecture.

If an efficient way to fully utilize dual processing paths for all applications really surfaces....I may have to rethink that last statement.

FWIW - B.B.S.
 
Back
Top