Dual DVI input options

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
It seems ridiculous that even high end LCDs still come with only one digital input. Finding a monitor with more than one digital video input seems pretty rare.

I have two computers at my desk and they both use the same monitor. I would love for them both to use digital as it is clearer but it seems there is no cheap solution to do this. DVI switches are ridiculously expensive and even if I were to buy a new LCD, dual DVI input seems to be a foreign concept to this market.

What recommendations does everyone have about solving this dilemma? Are there any cheap DVI switches I have managed to miss? ($60 seems to be the cheapest) How about LCDs with dual DVI input?

Well I guess the cheapest option would just be to swap the cables... but this is a pretty agricultural solution.

If you were handy with a solder you could probably wire your own DVI switch?

Ruahrc

I saw a cheap manual HDMI switch floating around somewhere. People seemed to like it, though I suspect it does come with the caveat that you have to have the switch set so the computer can detect the monitor when booting.

That said, if you actually use both with a monitor/keyboard/mouse on a regular basis I'd just get a KVM switch. Just hit a hot key combination of the keyboard or push a button (most support both) and the KVM switches your input devices & monitor to the other rig. Srewing around with 2 keyboards and 2 mice is just not worth it.

If the second box is just a server, just use vga. It's not like you'll use it much. Still, a KVM switch is nice to have for a server box.

Synergy + nec 2490wuxi with 2x DVI and 1x VGA but its hardly a cheap solution. Then again a good monitor + kvm isn't exactly cheap either.

IIRC the HP LP2475w has 2x DVI as well and is slightly cheaper if you can live with wide gamut.

Back