Dual Display Questions

I am thinking of setting up a second monitor for apps/teamspeak/browsing on one while gaming on the primary.

Primary monitor is a Benq XL2410T @120hz 1920x1080 on a dual link dvi cable.

Second monitor will be a Dell 2407 @ 60hz 1600x1200 and would be on regular dvi output.

Video card is a GTX680

1. will i have any issues with the different resolutions/refresh rates between the monitors?

2. will i suffer any kind of a performance hit while gaming by running a second monitor?

Thanks in advance for your input.

on the flipside if i ran games in fullscreen mode would my cursor be locked on the game screen until i alt tabbed or exited the game?

An alternative is to run the second monitor from a different computer, then link keyboard/mouse control from the primary machine with synergy. That way you can mouse across from a full screen game without it minimizing.. although mouse camera control is often crazy until you lock the mouse onto the game desktop with scroll lock.

on the flipside if i ran games in fullscreen mode would my cursor be locked on the game screen until i alt tabbed or exited the game?

Yes, everyone has to do that. Some games are designed for smooth alt-tabbing, some games handle alt-tabbing badly.

The second monitor will have less then 5% impact on your performance. If you run in windowed mode instead of full screen mode, that will have more then 5% on your performance and is not recommended unless your playing old games.

Back