Dual display performance question

quadnad

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Messages
7,656
I've just added an LCD to my CRT setup, and am now using the "dual view" feature on the desktop.

My question is this: Is there any performance hit when playing games with the second monitor plugged in (and showing the desktop)?

Also, my secondary monitor is to the left of my primary, is there any way to make the "mouse wrap" be on the left side of my primary screen rather than right?

My rig is in my sig, and thanks to anyone who helps (or tries) !
 
I'm sure theres some kind of performance hit, but I dont think its much.
 
discochan said:
I'm sure theres some kind of performance hit, but I dont think its much.

yeah, i thought so, but since i'm running a 6800gt it kinda matters how much when I'm playing games like oblivion. i suppose i could do my own benches, but since i've got finals bearing down on me, i dont' really have the time.

anyone else have any experience with this kind of setup?
 
I didn't see a performance hit when I added mine. Its nothing significant at all.

Only problem is, im running 7800GTs in SLi and SLi + dual display = no workie
 
I never noticed a performance hit. I think as long as you are only doing 2D stuff on the second monitor you should be okay. As for the mouse wrap thing, thats easy. In the display properties screen where it shows your two monitors, grab the display labeled 2 and "drag and drop" it on the other side of monitor 1.
 
Derfel said:
I never noticed a performance hit. I think as long as you are only doing 2D stuff on the second monitor you should be okay. As for the mouse wrap thing, thats easy. In the display properties screen where it shows your two monitors, grab the display labeled 2 and "drag and drop" it on the other side of monitor 1.

HAH! who thought it would be so intuitive. Thanks!

I suppose you're right, it's probably the placebo affect getting me or something while I'm in games. Thanks for the replies guys!
 
I play oblivion on my computer with an x800 xt and I leave my secondary monitor enabled... I close everything else down (cause its a hog when it comes to 1680x1050) but I still leave that second monitor enabled.. too much of a hassle to disable it
 
g33zy said:
I didn't see a performance hit when I added mine. Its nothing significant at all.

Only problem is, im running 7800GTs in SLi and SLi + dual display = no workie

Yeah, you aren't noticing the perf hit because you're basically not running in dual mode when gaming in SLI mode.

I did a quick benchmark test a while back using the doom3 timedemo and found the pefromance hit was i the 10-15% range when leaving a secondary monitor running.
 
caboosemoose said:
Yeah, you aren't noticing the perf hit because you're basically not running in dual mode when gaming in SLI mode.

I did a quick benchmark test a while back using the doom3 timedemo and found the pefromance hit was i the 10-15% range when leaving a secondary monitor running.
because you can't run dual monitors with SLi enabled. Dual monitors only work with single card setups.
 
g33zy said:
because you can't run dual monitors with SLi enabled. Dual monitors only work with single card setups.

Errr, no, the benchmarks I ran were using a single graphics card, nothing to do with SLI.
 
10-15% :(

Thats really disconcerting...why the huge performance diff? I'm truly surprised...I didn't think that much of anything would be using the gfx processing power, much less 15% of it.

Anyone able to verify this claim?

Otherwise I might hafta disable my secondary when I game....
 
caboosemoose said:
Yeah, you aren't noticing the perf hit because you're basically not running in dual mode when gaming in SLI mode.

I did a quick benchmark test a while back using the doom3 timedemo and found the pefromance hit was i the 10-15% range when leaving a secondary monitor running.
looks like you were saying that I didn't notice a hit because im basically not running dual monitors when gaming in SLi.

Looks like something to do with SLi but whatever. No big deal, I didn't notice a hit. Whether single display or dual.
 
Yeah, sorry, I was just explaining that SLI doesnt support dual monitors, then going back to the original point about the performance hit. Obviously there can't be a performance hit with SLI because it doesn't support dual monitors in the first place.
 
Back
Top