• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dual CPU and running 2 clients

MTXR

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 4, 2000
Messages
1,324
How do i run 2 folding@home clients on my computer at the same time.

I have 2 x 1.6LV Xeon @ 3.0ghz as my main computer, and i want to get back to folding@home for the moment.

-MTXR
 
Taken from this thread.

-local
Use configuration files from local directory. This option has no meaning on Linux, but is vital on Windows and Macintosh for running multiple clients on a machine. It instructs the client to read its config information from the client.cfg file in the current directory rather than, on Windows, from the installation directory specified in the registry, or, on Macintosh, the Library/Folding@home directory. Information such as the user name, team name, proxy information, machine ID are maintained in the client.cfg file. The flag ensures that work does not conflict. Use "-local" only if you are planning on running more than one instance of Folding@Home on the same machine (this is only useful if you are running on a multi-processor machine). Create as many directories as there are processors on the machine, copy the exe files and client.cfg file into each of these directories, run "FAH3Console -local -config" on each and specify unique machine IDs for each directory (under the Advanced Settings option). From then onwards you may run each copy by switching to its directory and running with the -local flag.

Hope this helps you out and welcome!


 
I have the same setup as you. I just put each client in it's own folder and then just set the client machine id (1-4). If you have those xeons set up to hyperthreading(4 processors) than you can run with 4 clients of folding and you will get boosted points. I never used the local flag.

MN Scout
Lots of points...
 
I just make a directory for each "CPU" I have.... and copy the console client into each folder... Then, I rename the *.exe so I, personally, can tell the difference between the two (can be helpful later on down the line).... Then I run with the configonly flag... set them up to run as a service..... edit the service info in the registry to include the -advmethods,-forceasm,and -local flags, and then reboot...


Keep on Folding!!

 
How do i use the "flags"?

Do i just go FAH502-Console -local -config.exe?

If so it didn't work.

-MTXR
 
You'll want to go to a command prompt, and go to the directory where you've placed the F@H client and type the exectueable followed by the flags.

ex: FAH502-Console.exe -local -config


 
I ended up playing around to the point where I used FireDaemon to help set it up the way I wanted, partly due to do my not being sure what exactly was happening when the client installed itself as a service (I haven't installed a service manually since Win98SE days, and wasn't sure where to go in XP to keep tabs, so having FireDaemon around lets me view and control).

edit: (OT) any way to make the folding badge appear every time without C&Ping every time?

 
On an XP box, you can easily find the service in the Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services icon. In there you can start, stop and restart the service. Also, for viewing status you can use programs such as FAHmon, and EMIII which are linked in the FAQ stickies. Or if you prefer going the poor mans route, you can just have a shortcut to the unitinfo.txt and keep an eye on things that way.

To get your badge to show up each time, view this post, it has details on how to create a button that will place it at the end of each post.

 
Back
Top