• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

dual core upgrade

captmeach7

n00b
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
56
I've got an old coryville (D945GCL) motherboard with a Pent D 925 @ 3 GHz and i was going to step that one up to Core, but not on a big budget. I found some E5xxx and E6xxx series chips in the 50-70 price range but my issue is compatibility. The board supports Core 2 Duo with a 1066 or 800 bus. Now the intel site shows it will support the C2D 6700 but not very many Pentium Dual cores. ( i think because of what was available at the time of testing because it lists the E2xxx series in pent dual core) Since the C2D and Pentium Dual Core are practically the same thing would it be a good assumption to think that a Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5 with 800 bus will be compatible? Thanks.
 
Have you thought about upgrading the mobo also? You could go pretty far with a P35/P45 board and a E8400.
 
I have thought about it, but i'm strapped for cash so i'm just doing little things here or there till closer to summer.
 
How strapped? You could look in the classifieds, you might find a good deal. You can posted wanted, say P35/45 with E6xxx-E8xxx chip for $xxx.
 
What classifieds? I've seen some great stuff on and off in the FS forum but i am not anywhere near 100 posts. I have been looking at some of the combo deals on newegg and tigerdirect and found that for under a hundred bucks i can get a MB and processor but in that price range it's only AMD. The ones i was looking at were:
ECS MB + Athlon II X2 240
ECS MB with Athlon 64 X2 7550

I looked at some Intel combos as well which range 119-~160 (trying to budget under 160)

Would the extra price be justified for the intel? If so ill spring for that. Or if i can pair my own two together...either way i appreciate the advice.
 
Any issues with AMD? The Athlon II's are pretty much the same clock for clock as the C2Ds. Are you overclocking at all? I wonder how well an older board like yours would handle that. Might get substantially more performance from a new mobo if it gave you more OC headroom. And I've heard bad things about ECS, but I have no personal experience with them. I just wanted to throw that out there.
 
I have a C2D E6750 oc'd to 3.2gig in a ga-ep45-ds3l in the fs'ft forum. Hit me up.
 
I'm not against AMD. I can afford both i have to budget however. And i'm looking for the best bang for buck. So cheap as i can without serious quality degredation. Either X2 or core platform would beat out what i'm using now.
 
I say go for C2D. E67xx series is nice, but if you can get a P45 with a 45nm E8400 that would be ideal.
 
Back
Top