• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dual core on the cheap

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 12, 2000
Messages
1,655
I currently am trying to go dual core as cheap as possible.
Here are my selections;

memory 2 512 ddr2 800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820227125

ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131014

CPU 1.9 Brisbane DC OEM
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103036

COOLER
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835200014

Total is $308.00

I currently own a Compaq v6171cl DC Turion Laptop and am very impressed with its performance . So I am trying to throw together DC desktop.

I already have a WD 250 SATA 3.0 HD. and an ASUS 16X DL DVD burner.

I read in the manual that if I use a 20 PIN PSU the 12 V has to be 15 A

I have a Themaltake PSU 1.3 350 W 12 V 15 A Pure Power From Radio Shack That is Standard 20 PIN connector with the standard 4 pin 12V connector


As far as Video I have a PCIE X300 Radeon CARD or a FX1400 NV Qaudro PCIE card I can us for graphics. or the onboard (not likely)

I don't intend to OC this machine. Mostly will be used for Video encoding to Divx. Will this PSU work with this system? . I have never used a 24 pin PSU.

I don't want to buy any more if I can do this.

PS If I have to use a 24 pin PSU do I still need the 12 volt connector hooked up?

Thanks for any info.
 
Yes, if you use a 20 OR a 24 pin, you need to have the 4 pin hooked up. It provides power to cpu.

Try the XClio 450BL, only about 40 bucks at newegg. Plenty of power and quality.
 
It would probably be cheaper if you go with an Intel Pentium D 805 (775) than with an AM2. I just got one and it was $92 and mobo was $85. I'm not trying to get you to move from AMD, but that Intel would be cheaper option for dual core.
 
I checked out the pentium D and an asus 865G board. i will save 150 if I go Intel
Thanks for the info
 
I checked out the pentium D and an asus 865G board. i will save 150 if I go Intel
Thanks for the info
The 945 (I think that is the series, check the mobo forums) is a bit more evolved.
 
I know but this way I can use my 2 sticks of of 1gig crucial DDR400 and MY 7800 GS AGP from another machine..
Again Thanks agaan for the info. I did go for the 820 D for the 800 fsb however..
 
Back
Top