Dual core G5's could be in the making

We do.

However, in my eyes this is "Too Little, Too Late" on IBM's part.

KaosDG said:
We do.

However, in my eyes this is "Too Little, Too Late" on IBM's part.

Exactly. Plus Apple is going with Intel starting next year.

They have 2 years for a full switch. It would be very easy to see these go into an apple. But yea I would say this is too late overall.

A g5 powerbook would be a nice hold over to one running a future pentium m

I'll be buying a dual core G5 if they come out soon. there's no way I'm waiting 2-3 years for an Intel powermac. That's just forever!

almostinsane1 said:
I'll be buying a dual core G5 if they come out soon. there's no way I'm waiting 2-3 years for an Intel powermac. That's just forever!

Comment removed..

If they put the G5 in the Powerbook line it's going to become quite hard to wait for 12" Powerbook with an Intel.

- NintendoFan - said:
If they put the G5 in the Powerbook line it's going to become quite hard to wait for 12" Powerbook with an Intel.

I'd rather see a 7448 G4 than a G5. It'll be faster.

As far as the switch, Apple said they 'hope' to be done by the end of 2007, which is two and a half years off. Everybody knows the Power Macs are going to be the last to switch, and the word 'hope' bought Apple a window that probably extends into 2008.

Centauri said:
I'd rather see a 7448 G4 than a G5. It'll be faster.

As far as the switch, Apple said they 'hope' to be done by the end of 2007, which is two and a half years off. Everybody knows the Power Macs are going to be the last to switch, and the word 'hope' bought Apple a window that probably extends into 2008.

Comment removed...

i'm sorry, maybe i missed the memo, but seeing as the powermacs were shipping as of the announcement with intel chips in them to those who could obtain them, what indication have we seen in terms of an adoption timeline or indication they will be last (again, as technically they shipped a while ago to developers indicating, unlike any other model in the apple line up, they're already out, albeit in very limited release, vs no where at all).

-esr

esr2 said:
i'm sorry, maybe i missed the memo, but seeing as the powermacs were shipping as of the announcement with intel chips in them to those who could obtain them, what indication have we seen in terms of an adoption timeline or indication they will be last (again, as technically they shipped a while ago to developers indicating, unlike any other model in the apple line up, they're already out, albeit in very limited release, vs no where at all).

-esr

Comment removed by me.

either way, im curious where this difinitive info is that 'everyone knows' since NO one but the people at apple secure behind NDAs know...

-esr

^^^ Thankfully CAPS + Apple != Jebus

I agree with the rest of ya guys... Tl / Tl... but you know that Apple will try to show off some big guns at launch of the MacTel boxes. And as much as I love AMD, Apple is *not* perceived as a gaming system. Thats what AMD excels at. Intel however is usually better at the business end until you get into the highest end CPUs then AMD throws them a beatin... It would be nice to see AMD ge more business, but I figure that Intel has more money to throw around for Apple incentives.

Well, that's nice. You didn't think Apple were just going to let the PowerMac sit and don't sell for two years until they introduce the Xeon PowerMac, did you? ;) The PowerMac will probably be one of the last models to be upgraded, mostly for software compatibility reasons; people who buy PowerMacs also buy Quark and such... applications that are likely to take longer to port to Xcode than, say, Adium.

Apple are not shipping PowerMacs with Intels in them to "those who can obtain them," they're shipping developer boxes with Intel processors to those who can obtain them. They're not PowerMacs, they just look like PowerMacs.

Back