• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dual Channel Questions

Beast321

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 3, 2002
Messages
134
OK, I'm picking up a Athlon XP 2800+ for my NF7-S motherboard
and have a small question, currently I only have one stick
of 512MB, on a Dual Channel NF2 Mobo, what kind of performance diferrence
is there if I use dual channel with 2 sticks of 512, and also would I have
to get matched pairs, or can I just pickup another stick of 512 Kingston
memory, will that work????


- Iohh, and if you need to no I don't overclock, or ever plan on soing so,
 
you usually need matched for dual channel, you can try getting another stick of the same type but it might not work, however.
you won't get much performance increase for using dual channel onan athlon xp.
dual channel only helps on those "high" fsb cpus such as the p4 or a64.

dual channel's just a lot of marketing.
the 754 a64's don't support dual channel.
and since intel hyped it a lot, they moved to the 939's that do.
 
Ive read a very rough average of +10% for dual over single. Not a hell of a lot considering the costs of matched pairs of 256's to single 512's.
 
You will get better performance, but only because of having more RAM (1GB vs 512), not because it's running in dual-channel. I believe it's closer to around 2% performance gain, which is negligible.

And yes, you can just pick up another 512 stick and it should work. Just remember you'll be running at whatever speed the slowest stick is running at, so try to get at least the same speed ram.

And IIRC, dual-channel isn't just a bunch of marketing. Dual-channel sticks that companies try to sell are, but not the dual-channel concept. At least back when I was actually reading about the stuff, on intel platforms, the performance gain was noticeable. It just didn't really transfer over to the AMD XP platform since we're not bottlenecked on memory bandwidth.
 
in my experiances with an xp 2500 @2.3ghz it yeilded less than 100mb memory score difference in sandra which amounts to a whole lot of nothing
 
Back
Top