dual broadband, 2nd installed today, all I can say, WOW!

LadyJaqie

I Have No Title
I got 1.5/1.5Mbit wireless connection from a local ISP, it uses the older equipment available from www.waverider.com, and it';s been pretty good, cept they been @#%^@#^ing me around on the bill...

I got 5.0/0.75Mbit cable today, to suppliment it and all I have to say is, the browsing time is just so incredibly fast! O_O
I mean, I've had 4.0/? cable in Chicago before, but it was NOTHING compared to this!

now my total connect speed is around 6.5/2.25Mbps...can't wait to start hosting some games and such :D

I'm not, yet. I am piecing together a freeBSD box, but at first I am going to try running m0n0wall or clarkconnect.

Lions Tigers and Bears oh my!

(Hmph you must be selling drug's to afford this.)

Irishllama said:
(Hmph you must be selling drug's to afford this.)
get the HELL outta my thread!

$30/mo for the first, $50/mo for the second.
if you MUST know, I am on disability, paying for two people living here off of it, and a good chunk is going into our broadband, it's important to us and we want to set up an internet site. now GO AWAY!

clam down and grab that branch out of your ass. He is merly stating that most place charge premium for that kind of bandwidth. For example. i pay 89.99/m for a 1.5/768 DSL line.

ouch!
yah I remember I paid $55 or so for 90KB/s up/dn a few months ago...

gah. can't view my forums... im on one leg it's on the other, it's getting confused... and so am I. :(

LadyJaqie said:
get the HELL outta my thread!

$30/mo for the first, $50/mo for the second.
if you MUST know, I am on disability, paying for two people living here off of it, and a good chunk is going into our broadband, it's important to us and we want to set up an internet site. now GO AWAY!

If you're looking into a site that would make money to pay for the service it might be worth it to consider checking out a real datacenter that would be extremely reliable and secure. Or maybe that would be something for the future. For a small-ish scale operation you would probably do fine.

yah I wanna start like this and then go to a hosting solution maybe later. thats what I was hoping for anyways. thanks!
*yawn* gonna go to bed now. night!

LadyJaqie said:
yah I wanna start like this and then go to a hosting solution maybe later. thats what I was hoping for anyways. thanks!
*yawn* gonna go to bed now. night!

So what is this plan you have? I've seen multiple posts on it but never found out. Can you fill any of us in? I think you mentioned a torrents site earlier on, but that doesn't seem to be in fashion at the moment. Any hints or anything?

LadyJaqie said:
<snip>
I got 5.0/0.75Mbit cable today, to suppliment it and all I have to say is, the browsing time is just so incredibly fast! O_O
I mean, I've had 4.0/? cable in Chicago before, but it was NOTHING compared to this!
<snip>

I'm really curious as to what kind of browsing you do. Personally, I don't visit extremely bandwidth intensive sites, but that said, I've never had any problems with slow browsing using anything from 768/128 DSL (long time ago, think that was the speed) to 3000/768 cable. In fact, browsing has pretty much been instantaneous (aside from erratic DNS servers, but that's another issue entirely) with every type of broadband I've ever used.

My experience has always been that even basic broadband is plenty fast for browsing the web, and I've never experienced any speed-ups with fatter pipes (not talking about P2P and downloading here, of course). We must have drastically different internet usage patterns :) Note that I'm not challenging you or your statement, just curious.

I'm a power user and how, plus I use my internet pipes very very heavily. and my foxenforums are my 'trial run' community, if you scroll down you will see 'game patch torrents' which is my true brainchild.

Imagine this...
A place that gives all the same files that FilePlanet does, without as many ads, without all the mumbo jumbo, without signing up, or waiting times, without subscription service, without waiting and slow downloads. at your maximum connection speed. where the day a patch for a game comes out, instead of slow downloads and higher wait times because the servers are overloaded, the wait times are lower and the availability of the files are even higher because of the nature of torrents, because of how they work!

Now, if it all pans out, wouldn't that just plain rock to have a site like that?
:D

I definitely agree. I think the problem fileplanet had was that needed more income to handle increased server loads so they implemented the sign up system and the premium services.

Your method would be much more bandwidth efficient. It would be great to have a place where I could go to get basic torrents of the files on a plain site without any of the normal riff raff. Good luck with it :)

fileplanet ruled. then charged, then sucked balls
then came fileshack, fileshack ruled, then charged, and still ruled, but then it got sucky.
filefront is a front for spyware.

so yeah...succeed or die, as the saying goes :)

I can tell you this net gets used alot!! I'm thinking about actually setting up a CS server, just gotta get motvated plus Jaqie is gotta agree with it ^_^

*sigh* still gotta find a torrent tracker I like. any suggestions? one thats pretty barebones but still has a few nice features... PHP based would be nice.

jaqie, are you still using that odd windows-as-a-gateway/firewall setup?

i ask because i have a dual 300mhz box laying around i'd like to turn into a gateway and webserver in one.

nothing i have used so far is stable with heavy torrenting however. (linksys, dlink, IPcop linux, monowall is better about it, but still shits the wan every now and then)

SJConsultant said:
Ever hear of Verizon Fios? I believe that's there *minimum* base package.

Wow, so it's real, fiber comes to american homes. Ever since isp's finally broke free of the mental handicap that thou shall not exceed 1.5mbps connections have been skyrocketing. Competition is a great thing eh? Although i still cant quite shake the feeling that i've only been programmed to be so excited about these speeds, much like how giddy i was when comcast gave me 6.0/768 speeds, and how $2.00/gallon of gas feels cheap. Fuckers...

edit: Their EULA - " 1. Can I host a Web page? Verizon Fios Internet Service consumer packages include 10 MB of personal Web space [omg yay!]. The consumer offers do not permit customers to host any type of server, personal or commercial."

At least i can host anything i want all day on comcast.

uviuar2 said:
edit: Their EULA - " 1. Can I host a Web page? Verizon Fios Internet Service consumer packages include 10 MB of personal Web space [omg yay!]. The consumer offers do not permit customers to host any type of server, personal or commercial."

At least i can host anything i want all day on comcast.

Heh.... I have both Comcast and Verizon Business packages using Xincom's dual broadband router for load balancing incoming and outgoing connections. :p

Well you got the connection. But what about the bandwidth traffic? When your transferring 20+ gigs month. Are they gonna start complaining about that? Just something to think about.

iv downloaded at 800k a sec + for 3 months now and i download a lot

the main problem i have is finding servers that allow me to use my full bandwidth

and the max iv downloaded off the internet is 1.58MBps yes 1.58 megabytes a second

i think i mite have been capped so i gotta call up RR tommorow and get this issue fixed. i usually DL @ most at 600K/sec and UL @ 45K/sec. currently its @ 40/40 DL/UL its HORRIBLE!!!!!!

iam thinking of getting some DSL package for like 60 a month, since i pay 40 for RR.

but i want like 1mb DL and at least 100K UL is that possible? and no opt online aint offered here :( RR sucks and VZ is slow as hell too.

i wish i was as lucky as you guys to have some of those speeds u talk about

Back