dual booting OSX/WinXP

ir0n_ma1den

Weaksauce
Today I took out an 80gig harddrive from an old computer I had lying around and installed it in my rig. I used Paragon bootCD to format it into FAT32.

Okay,

My 289gig HDD is going to be where XP lives and my 80gig HDD is where OSX will live.

OSX and its programs can only be installed on FAT32 format right?

How much space should I allocate for the OSX install? Is 12gigs fine?

Should I format my 289gig HDD into FAT32 so both XP and OSX can use the space or should I keep it NTFS?

On a FAT32 format hardrive do I have to create a new partition every 32gigs?

thanks for answering me long list of obvious questions :)

Before this topic gets locked....

OS X is an operating system designed to only be run on Apple computers. It's for Macs. Only.

To be fair, the OP has not indicated whether the computer is an Apple or not.

No, Mac can be run on pcs. Google "osx86", than google "efix"
No one said it wasn't possible. It is possible to walk into a crowd and start shooting, but that doesn't make it right or kosher to discuss.

By whatever means you do it, running OS X on a non-Apple machine is against the OS X EULA:

"This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so."

Well, even knowing this will get locked since nobody around here wants to go that far, bleh... the EULA states "Apple-labeled computer", and until a court of law somewhere sets a precedent that declares precisely what an "Apple-labeled computer" precisely defines, then people are free to do whatever. The EULA more than likely won't stand up in any court of law because Apple sells OSX as a standalone retail product and doesn't require proof of ownership (of Apple hardware or an Apple-labeled computer) to buy it.

This will simply never end, obviously, just as people never follow the speed limit of 25 MPH and almost always can be found doing 26 or higher. It's a simple thing, really, but some folks will beat the to-the-letter-legality of it to death and beyond. I bought a copy of Leopard in an Apple Store, it's mine, and I can do whatever I want with it. If I put the Apple sticker that came in the box with Leopard on a PC I install Leopard on, who is going to argue that it's not an "Apple-labeled computer" afterwards?

I think the punishment for such crimes are to be forced into wearing a black turtleneck and jeans everyday, no matter the season or occasion.

By whatever means you do it, running OS X on a non-Apple machine is against the OS X EULA:

"This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so."

Oh, so they think it is fine and dandy that that can run Windows on their machines but we can't run their OS on our machines? Not that I want to run OSX on my PC anyway bit I say screw them.

Yep - Apple aren't interested in selling software so much as they are in selling systems, since then they control the whole experience and gain additional profits as well.

Note I didn't say "illegal" myself, I said "against the OS X EULA". Of course, Apple are extremely unlikely to take action against individuals, and the enforceability of EULAs is disputed, but it is against the EULA. (Sticking 'Apple' to your machine is an interesting strategy..!)

Back