Dual Boot

Zer0Cool

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to refresh my memory on Dual boot procedure.

Today I will be reinstalling everything, and want to see if I can get Win XP and Win 7 installed.

So as far as I remember I need to install Win 7 first then install XP right?
When I will be partitioning Win7 I will leave some space for XP, after Win7 installs pop in win XP and use the remaining partition space to install it, correct?
Im using RAID-0

Anything else im missing?

I put Win7 on 1 hdd, XP on a 2nd hdd, & Vista on a 3rd hdd, then I would just hit F8 at boot up & select which hdd to boot from (& which OS to use) from my Bios - instead of using windows pain in the ass boot loader.

XP then Win7

I thought it was always Win7 1st then XP/Vista.....?

I put Win7 on 1 hdd, XP on a 2nd hdd, & Vista on a 3rd hdd, then I would just hit F8 at boot up & select which hdd to boot from (& which OS to use) from my Bios - instead of using windows pain in the ass boot loader.

Cant do that. My 3rd HDD is full with Movies..etc and I want to keep my RAID-0 with the other 2.

So can anyone confirm if im doing the right thing by installing win7 1st then xp ?

May I ask why you are dual booting win 7 and xp? I have some friends who dual boot but for what they do single boot to win 7 provides enough compatibility with old apps. May be worth looking into virtual machines like VirtualBox if it is for testing purposes.

If I remember that should work. 7 first then xp to get the Win boot loader to show up at start-up. It was a while ago I put Vista on 1 hdd & then xp on another & the boot loader would load at start up.

Oh yeah Zerocool theres a program called easy bcd that will help you load the win boot loader if all else fails.

May I ask why you are dual booting win 7 and xp? I have some friends who dual boot but for what they do single boot to win 7 provides enough compatibility with old apps. May be worth looking into virtual machines like VirtualBox if it is for testing purposes.

It something really stupid... I play a game called Counter Strike on a competitive lvl, and somehow I believe it is not running a smooth on win 7 as it would on win xp, this is something thats lots of other people commented as well on.

If I remember that should work. 7 first then xp to get the Win boot loader to show up at start-up. It was a while ago I put Vista on 1 hdd & then xp on another & the boot loader would load at start up.

Thanks

I have a problem now

I installed win 7 1st and now when I try to install XP its giving me BSOD

I use the same process. I boot from CD blue win xp screen shows up and it taking about 2 min to get everything loaded, then is sass "Starting Windows" thats where you select your partitions...etc I get BSOD. Simply installing XP when im in Win 7 also doesnt work, the option to install it is grayed out.

Is there a way to install XP with ought me having to erase win7 again?

Thanks

Well its cause your suppose to install xp first.......like i said earlier :rolleyes:
You dont really think people that already had XP had to wipe their HDDs to dual boot did you?

But since you already have windows 7 installed lets see what we can do.
When do you get the BSOD?
Is your sata controller in IDE or AHCI mode?
What mobo do you have? More specifically what sata chipset and do you have the right drivers? XP is picky.
XP 32bit or 64bit?
Do you already have a partition created to install XP on?

If you get an error loading the OS after XP is installed and automatically restarts
Then using your Windows 7 installation disc, boot to the command prompt at startup.
Type in these comands below, and press enter after each one.
Code:
bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /RebuildBcd
Exit the command prompt and restart the computer.
At this point, Windows 7 should boot up the same way before trying to install XP.
Download EasyBCD
Once in EasyBCD go to the add/remove entries. adjust entries as needed.
Click on Manage Bootloader
select the reinstall bootloader radio button, and click Write MBR.
Reboot

Well its cause your suppose to install xp first.......like i said earlier :rolleyes:
You dont really think people that already had XP had to wipe their HDDs to dual boot did you?

But since you already have windows 7 installed lets see what we can do.
When do you get the BSOD?
Is your sata controller in IDE or AHCI mode?
What mobo do you have? More specifically what sata chipset and do you have the right drivers? XP is picky.
XP 32bit or 64bit?
Do you already have a partition created to install XP on?

If you get an error loading the OS after XP is installed and automatically restarts
Then using your Windows 7 installation disc, boot to the command prompt at startup.
Type in these comands below, and press enter after each one.
Code:
bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /RebuildBcd
Exit the command prompt and restart the computer.
At this point, Windows 7 should boot up the same way before trying to install XP.
Download EasyBCD
Once in EasyBCD go to the add/remove entries. adjust entries as needed.
Click on Manage Bootloader
select the reinstall bootloader radio button, and click Write MBR.
Reboot

http://www.bootstrike.com/WindowsXP/images/clean_welsetup.gif[/IMG
I get BSOD when I am about to enter this screen ^^^ 1st screen after the load
I use RAID for "sata controller" I have raid-0 (Do I need to hit F6 for the raid drivers? Never had to do that for Vista/Win 7 so maybe I need that for XP? )
I have "Asus P6T V2 Deluxe"
Trying to install 32bit XP
I have about 200MB partition unused where I was planning to install XP

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.bootstrike.com/WindowsXP/images/clean_welsetup.gif[/ig]
I get BSOD when I am about to enter this screen ^^^ 1st screen after the load
I use RAID for "sata controller" I have raid-0 (Do I need to hit F6 for the raid drivers? Never had to do that for Vista/Win 7 so maybe I need that for XP? )
I have "Asus P6T V2 Deluxe"
Trying to install 32bit XP
I have about 200MB partition unused where I was planning to install XP[/QUOTE]

Yes, get the ICH10R drivers and you will need to use F6 to load them with a floppy or slipstream them into the CD image.
I hope you mean 200gb.

Last edited:
In a thread where people were arguing about 32 bit OS versus 64 bit OS, it was agreed apon that the newest OS will recognize the older OS but not vice versa, so the order should be oldest first (XP) then Win 7.

ie. Win 95 then Win 98 then XP then Win 7

If you install Win 7 first, XP will see it and basically say, "wtf is this?".

Also, I've read that Win7's XP emulation mode is too slow for gaming.

The guide that I posted below shows 2 different methods ( XP then Win 7 or Win7 then XP ).

Last edited:
Hey thanks a lot fellas!

Didn't had time to get around to it yet, but thanks for the info, I think Il be good from here on, Cheers.

Back