Dual boot XP/Vista causes issue with system restore

Known issue, and it does suck.

Luckily, I was able to get rid of XP now that all the software I needed has Vista versions....mainly Lightscribe and DVD software....

I could use my removable caddy system to get around it but I don't have it installed and would mean moving all my hardware to a different case, and also putting Vista on a PATA HDD instead of SATA. Oh well, I'll just live with it for now but it makes system restore in Vista kind of useless.

One could argue that System Restore is pointless in general.

One could argue that arguing with you about system restore is pointless too. :)

Glad I saw that as I was about to dual boot Vista. When you disconnect a drive as suggested:

" To avoid losing Windows Vista shadow copies on a disk that you don’t need to access from Windows XP, disconnect or power off the disk prior to booting to Windows XP"

Does that mean you can leave drive wire connected to mobo but just not the drive - or do you leave it connected to the drive but not the mobo?

It's saying you can leave the data cable connected and just disconnect the power cable.

Does that mean you can leave drive wire connected to mobo but just not the drive - or do you leave it connected to the drive but not the mobo?
It's not going to make a difference. If the drive has no power, it's not going to be seen by the BIOS.

One could argue that arguing with you about system restore is pointless too. :)
Not unless this needs to be drawn out into another debate. It rarely works, it's a haven for malware, it uses extra disk space, and most major security companies recommend disabling it. Most corporate environments I've been in disable it as well. Not to mention the fact that if you're drive dies, you lose you're restore ability as well. Off-disk backups, FTW.

It worked enough to help me recover from several driver and VPN software installs that went bad.

I could believe software installs gone wrong....I've tried it probably 30 times on various friends and family members, and I've yet to see it work properly.

I guess it depends on what "work properly" means to you.
I've never seen it work perfectly, as in restoring the system back to exactly the state it was before. But it does a good enough job to allow me to go forward.

Not unless this needs to be drawn out into another debate. It rarely works, it's a haven for malware, it uses extra disk space, and most major security companies recommend disabling it. Most corporate environments I've been in disable it as well. Not to mention the fact that if you're drive dies, you lose you're restore ability as well. Off-disk backups, FTW.

Yes, but there have been a couple of times where it saved my butt so it has it's uses too.

That's what I mean. If System Restore still leaves work to be done, why not just take tose steps first? I usually go for fixing the problem directly.

It's not going to make a difference. If the drive has no power, it's not going to be seen by the BIOS.

Thanks.

System restore helped me out just two days ago. My Asus Probe and AI utitlities were showing false temps of 250c when 3 other utilities were showing 22C - 35c (board was not OC'ed). My Browser would start flickering between resolutions and photos in folders were bouncing and oscillating. I took out Asus AI and Probe and did a system restore. On completion I got "This Computer Has Just Recovered From A Serios Error" etc etc. and all has been well for 3 days now.

Back