Dual boot, xp pro x64 & 32bit

todlerix

2[H]4U
normally i would just try this on my own, but due to the large amount of programs i have installed im not willing to explore ><

Current setup:

3500 64bit
2x 120GB SATA II Seagate harddrives
raid stripe

one huge partition

If im not mistaken i need to:

1. Partion the drive using Partition Magic (never done this with raid drives)
2. load winxp x64 on 2nd partition
3. when it boots it will give me a choice automatically (eh?, is this true)

You don't even need Partion magic for this, windows will take care of it for you, just install 32 first then install 64 next. Select the partion option during the 64 install. when you boot it will have an options menu and say WINDOWS XP 64 or WINDOWS XP. This dual boot is easier than any linux/windows combo because windows will guide you through this. Good luck, PM me if you need help.

My experiance with Dual booting 64 and 32, is that they need to be on differnt partions or differnt drives. Also you will have to edit the boot.ini file to lable which one is 64 and which one is 32.

i dont have the luxury =/

need it on the same 2 hard drive that are on stripe.

i know it hasta be on diff partition.. im making sure this is how u do it.

A little googling and it seems that Partion Magic will work assuming that it sees the RAID array. I had a problem with my RAID when I went to the NVIDIA raid controller that GHOST no longer reconized the RAID array, but only saw 2 seperate drives. I read a couple other aricles talked about adding the drivers that you need for your RAID array to the boot up disk, but didn't give any specifics on it.

Back