• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dual-boot with different video cards?

shawngibson

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 21, 2005
Messages
78
If I can figure out a way to build just one big quad, that has a dual boot system, one for Photoshop and development apps, and one that includes media hardware/software, that might be much cheaper than building a workstation AND a media box.

I'm planning on 2 PNY FX 1400s for the Photoshop Computer, but it makes more sense for a TV/DVD/Media machine to have something like one great big 7800 or other 'framerate'-based videocard if I am watching TV or DVDs, something with big onboard RAM, like 2x512.

If I buy one of these or something similar: http://www.mobl.com/expansion/products/pcie_expansion/6slot/index.html

...can I run a true dual-boot system, i.e., XP64 on one Raptor for PS computer, XM32 Media Centre on another Raptor, and have the 64bit OS 'see' the PNY cards, but the Media Centre OS 'see' the other card(s)?

Visually, I mean something like this:

Turn on computer and get a screen, boot 0 or boot 1 configuration choice:

0) XP64>drivers and software install to read PNY cards and be blind to other video cards (this OS doesn't even HAVE the media software installed, the whole point being cleanliness for professional use)

1) XP32MCE>drivers and software to read other card(s) and not even know the PNYs are 'there'

I'd have to either manually route the video cables or hopefully find some type of KVM-sort of thing that I switch before powering on (i.e., so the monitors are hooked up to either set of cards) but worst case scenario is a home-built box, since I'vesome friends who would be perfectly comfortable building such a simple "Y" adaptor for a set of monitors.

The IDEAL setup would be, re: boot configuration:

0) XP64 for Photoshop and development Apps (PNY Cards)
1) XP? for Photoshop etc. AND media stuff for casual work days (not the PNY cards)
2) XP32MCE for Media only, no development software (not the PNY cards)

...with OSes on different Raptors. But if the first one works, the second one should too, I'd guess.

The Photoshop computer being built is TyanS2895/dual-Opteron based.

Even if the Magma PCI express expansion board is fairly expensive, and the price of 3-4 video cards is high, it's still cheaper than a complete build for a media centre over-and-above my big, fast computer, which of course, the media centre would not be, I'd be settling on a smaller system for it...

Am I crazy or does this is some sense seem viable, and more importantly, worth it?

Shawn
 
Back
Top