Dual boot Windowsxp and Windowsxp

Ravenous

Weaksauce
I tried searching but couldn't find anything. Anyway I want to optimize my gaming experience as much as I can on my current hardware so I want to tweak it to its max. However this gives me limited functionality especially once I start disabling services. So I still want full functionality for graphic apps and general computer use. Can I install two occurances of Windowsxp and tweak one install for gaming and use the other install for general use? Would it be better to install each on a seperate hard drive? I currently have 2 80gb Maxtor SATA drives running in raid 0. Would it be better to have each hard drive run independatly with its own windows install or partition the raid array into 2 80gb partitions and put an install on each partition. Any info would be appreciated.

Why not just do two hardware profiles?

Access it from your system properties screen (windows and pause/break). Create a new one called "gaming" or whatever.

Reboot and you'll get a menu with the two profiles. Just select the "gaming" one, and when in change all the setting you like

Next time you switch on the machine, option 1 wil be your normal PC for day to day gubbins, "gaming" will be your highly tweaked gaming envronment.

HTH :)

Well that actually sounds like a pretty cool and simple way to do it...although will I still be able to disable services on one hardware profile and leave the running on the other?

doubt it, I don't think the hardware profiles has anything to do with that. You can install 2 seperate instances of XP though, I have done it. Dual boot should set up automatically, if not go to boot.ini and add the second one.

Wow, I can't believe this exact question was asked again! Hardware profiles won't let you separate software configs. Furthermore, read the stickies about disabling services. In short, don't waste your time. You could dual boot, with one install on each drive, but that, to me, is a waste of space. Break the array, since RAID0 isn't helping you any performance-wise, and install XP fresh. Use the best drivers and some normal system tweaks, and you'll be fine. Save the second drive solely as storage, and keep your data there, like downloaded game patches, music, etc. The tweaks that you've suggested above, really wouldn't make any noticeable difference in performance anyway, so you'd be wasting time and possibly setting yourself up for an unstable system.

Back