Dual Boot Windows 8 with Ubuntu Linux

koushik

Weaksauce
I need to install Ubuntu Linux 12.04 on my system for my college projects but I don't want to remove Windows 8 either ..... :D People are saying that I can't dual boot Win 8 with Ubuntu as 8 has UEFI secure boot enabled !! So , is there any workaround ?? your suggestions will really help me .... :)

You might consider running Ubuntu as a hyper-v VM in the meantime until you figure out if dual booting is possible, then you won't even have to reboot its just always available

I'll agree the UEFI can be a pain for non-windows o/S's. The "For Your Own Protection™" b.s. that they try to excuse this situation with is just that - b.s., since the side effect of making is difficult or impossible for people to run other OS's besides Windows is too convenient for MS to be an unintended consequence and in practical use translates to little more than a lock keeping the honest out, all I can say is good luck.

Last edited:
You can also enable Hyper-V and install Ubuntu as a virtual machine under Windows. :) Not what you are looking for but thought I'd just throw this out there. A little easier to do as well. :cool: I'm actually doing it right now because I'm going through a Linux tutorial/class on my Windows 8 laptop.

How about formatting your hard drive 2 partitions and install windows 7 with Linux os's :)

People are saying that I can't dual boot Win 8 with Ubuntu as 8 has UEFI secure boot enabled !!

People who say that literally have no business giving anybody any kind of advice on anything, because they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/22/protecting-the-pre-os-environment-with-uefi.aspx

If you know anything about UEFI and/or secure boot at all, you know that the consumer is at liberty to do as they please. The people who get everything they know from unethical, unskilled and uninformed e-journalists and don't know how UEFI and/or SecureBoot work clearly are not computer experts and should not give advice to people.

As far as doing what you'd like, I'd say just google it. You'll find guides to do this for other distros, mostly, since the people capable of writing them generally use something other than Ubuntu. I did a little bit of looking and this was a first page result and is pretty good.
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ot-preinstalled-windows-8-linux-uefi-etc.html

People who say that literally have no business giving anybody any kind of advice on anything, because they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/22/protecting-the-pre-os-environment-with-uefi.aspx

If you know anything about UEFI and/or secure boot at all, you know that the consumer is at liberty to do as they please. The people who get everything they know from unethical, unskilled and uninformed e-journalists and don't know how UEFI and/or SecureBoot work clearly are not computer experts and should not give advice to people.

As far as doing what you'd like, I'd say just google it. You'll find guides to do this for other distros, mostly, since the people capable of writing them generally use something other than Ubuntu. I did a little bit of looking and this was a first page result and is pretty good.
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/...ot-preinstalled-windows-8-linux-uefi-etc.html

thank you all and specially Dogs for your replies ......... I thing I'll give it a shot :)

I run solely Linux and have a Windows XP VM I run in virtualbox just for school. Sad fact is, I get more school related work done in Linux using geany than I do using Visual Studio in Windows. But it helps to have it for cross-platform testing.

I run solely Linux and have a Windows XP VM I run in virtualbox just for school. Sad fact is, I get more school related work done in Linux using geany than I do using Visual Studio in Windows. But it helps to have it for cross-platform testing.

My problem is I've got genuine Windows 8 with my new laptop :p so I just can't remove it :D I think VMWare/Hyper-V is the best option for me at this stage .....

My problem is I've got genuine Windows 8 with my new laptop :p so I just can't remove it :D I think VMWare/Hyper-V is the best option for me at this stage .....

Why can't you remove it? You should have either gotten a system restore disc or there should be a way to make one on the system. Find/make your backup disc and then do as you please.

Why can't you remove it? You should have either gotten a system restore disc or there should be a way to make one on the system. Find/make your backup disc and then do as you please.

Yes !! I've got a Disc but as far I know , the no. of activations in Windows is limited !! right ?? :( Actually this is my fault :confused: I should've choosen Windows 7 Home Premium instead of 8 ... then I could have been running both WInodws/Ubuntu dual booted ...... :D

Yes !! I've got a Disc but as far I know , the no. of activations in Windows is limited !! right ?? :( Actually this is my fault :confused: I should've choosen Windows 7 Home Premium instead of 8 ... then I could have been running both WInodws/Ubuntu dual booted ...... :D

I think you made a great decision with the Windows 8 you got. :D I am running Ubuntu 12.04 with Virtualbox and it runs very quick. I have it set up to use 2 cores of my FX 8320, 1.5GB of ram and a bridged network adapter. The only issue is that when the kernel is updated, I have to reinstall the Virtualbox additions. :(

I would choose Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu though if your training OS needs to be ubuntu based. Ubuntu is the Windows 8 of linux.

Running virtual machines can be a good idea. I currently have multiple on my macbook pro: Win7 pro, 8.1 beta, Sabayon MATE, Debian squeeze, Chakra, Puppy 5.6 etc. With VM you can experiment all sorts of stupid things and just restore to previous snapshot in a couple of seconds if you mess it up.

thanx u all for your replies guyz !! I installed VMware and running Ubuntu 12.04 on it .... overall I'm having a smooth drive till now :D

I would choose Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu though if your training OS needs to be ubuntu based. Ubuntu is the Windows 8 of linux.

Running virtual machines can be a good idea. I currently have multiple on my macbook pro: Win7 pro, 8.1 beta, Sabayon MATE, Debian squeeze, Chakra, Puppy 5.6 etc. With VM you can experiment all sorts of stupid things and just restore to previous snapshot in a couple of seconds if you mess it up.

thanx :)

I think you made a great decision with the Windows 8 you got. :D I am running Ubuntu 12.04 with Virtualbox and it runs very quick. I have it set up to use 2 cores of my FX 8320, 1.5GB of ram and a bridged network adapter. The only issue is that when the kernel is updated, I have to reinstall the Virtualbox additions. :(

thanx for ur support :D

Back