Dual boot Windows 7 issues.

SuperCell

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 24, 2005
Messages
314
I have tried to run 2 copies of windows 7 on separate HDDs, but now I can only boot from the newer, recently added HDD.

The original HDD is still assigned boot priority on startup, but now the USB keyboard and mouse both die on the Windows welcome screen. Legacy USB is enabled in bios.

If I hit F11 to manually chose which HDD to boot from, it still boots from the newer drive even though I never selected it.

Do you think this is caused by me trying to dual boot the same copy of the OS (same product key)???

Is this legal?
 
I have no idea about the legality of this. Load up the newer install of windows and check the boot setup in msconfig. Change the "default" OS to the one you want and change that timeout to something other than zero.

I found a dual boot with windows 7 and windows 7 caused this issue for me too... as did windows 7/10 dual boot.
 
Most likely your new installation wrote over the mbr. The MBR for boot is likely in the old hdd. Windows is unable to create a bootloader for two identical versions. It always assumes your new install is the only one used.
 
Back
Top