Dual boot problems with xp64

TheDarkTao

Gawd
Hey,
I have been running windows xp64 (trial/beta). I just got a new motherboard, so I reinstalled windows (it did work with the new board but I wanted to be safe). Problem was that it had some sort of conflict with the ethernet driver from nvidia, so I had to install a second copy of windows in another partition and DL the driver, then reinstall it to the C drive. Well, it got all buggy, so I completely reinstalled windows to the C drive.

Problem is that after I uninstalled windows to the second partition (I made it on my D drive) it still shows both OSes on a reboot. I deleted the windows files, and formated the D drive. But it still shows both OSs as bootable. If I try and boot from the second OS (the one I deleted) it obviously gives an error message and then reboots. The first one works fine though. I just want to uninstall the second one completely. Every time I boot up that stupid chose OS screen comes on. Any way to fix this?

Any help is much apreciated. Thanks.

What you need to do is:

Go in to your system properties (either via the control panel or hold down the windows key and press pause/break).

Click on the "advanced" tab.

Click on the settings button in the "Startup and recovery" box.

You will then see the two (or more) boot up options in a little drop down menu. Beneath that is an option to "edit the startup file options mnually". Click that EDIT button.

This will open a file called "boot" in notepad. Under the "[Operating systems]" section will be all the options. Simply delete the one you don't want, and save the file.

Rebot your machine and all will be well with the world :)

You, Sir, are both a gentleman and a scholar... I salute you. And you are most certianly [H]ard core. Thanks it worked wonders, no more chosing OS ever time I reboot, you got help-the-os-noob karma comming your way!

Thanks again!

Back