Dual boot - passing files

Yoseff

n00b
I have dual boot with Linux and Windows 10.
How can I pass files between the two operating systems?

Any other partition will work. Even a USB drive or an SD card.

Push come to shove, you can use a cloud storage service.

You can browse ntfs volumes from any linux distro.

Windows needs extra stuff to read ext3/ext4, so a FAT or ntfs voleme on the drive or other drive would do (like Axman said).

Theres also the Windows subsystem for Linux, used to be available for 10, but now MS' manual for it lists 11 as a prerequisite so your mileage may vary.

When I used to dual boot, I would use Linux software to read-only mount ntfs, and Windows software to read ext2/3/4fs and didn't have to plan. You can mount ntfs read-write these days, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. I think ZFSonWindows existed at some point, but I wouldn't trust it, an extra partition with fat32 or exfat is probably the most bestest for this. OTOH, I've got enough computers now I don't need to dual boot anything, anything that needs to move across computers goes on the network share.

I'd recommend a network share, or if that's not an option then a separate partition that is either FAT32/exFAT or NTFS partition that the each OS can share. NTFS RW is solid these days on Linux, however it is riskier than using something FAT based. I've personally never had any issues with NTFS on Linux, but that doesn't mean it isn't a possibility. Just remember that FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit that could cause issues down the line, so if you go the FAT route you might want to consider exFAT. It solves the 4GB file size limitation without the, minimal in my opinion, risks of using RW NTFS on Linux.

Back