dual boot issues (xp/ubuntu) help plz!

Spike..

Gawd
Im trying to set up a dual boot system between xp and ubuntu, i managed to get them both installed but for some reason when i boot the system it just goes streight to xp. im running an amd 4800+ a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D with the most current bios and a 120gb segate hd. i have the system partitioned with 100gb for xp as thats what i mainly use and 20 for linux. thx in advance for any advice.

Which did you install first? You have to install XP first and then Linux so it can install a boot loader to the mbr.

If you installed XP last, then you are going to have to boot off of the Ubuntu live cd and chroot into your Linux installation to reinstall your boot loader (grub/lilo).

i had origonally installed xp first but when i resized the partation it corrupted some of the xp files causing it to give me a bsod. i reinstalled xp and than was having this issue.

Gatticus said:
Hehe..sounds like fun.
:p right, on the bright side im an expert on installing ubuntu and xp now... im going to just start fresh i think mayhapse thatll help...

ummm ok, what you need to do is, this, boot off the live disc, open terminal and do this
Code:
sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1

this will output where the grub boot files are; fill in the approptiate x and y values.
Code:
root (hdx,y)
setup (hdx)

the setup (hdx) is usually (hd0) by default if you installed via alternate, and the live disc, so if you didn't change which drives mbr that grub is installed on then odds are its hd0.

reboot and you should have grub.

Back