Dual boot choices timer

I have dual boot Windows Vista, and XP on my computer. In this type of situation, the computer gives you two options when the computer first loads, Windows Vista, or an older version of Windows. These choices are generally presented for 30 seconds, however, you can change the time from 0-30. The problem is, I have accidentally set the timer to 0. So, now I am not able to choose Vista for my OS. I am interested in knowing if there is a way I can change this back to 30. Are there alternative ways to get into the Windows Vista boot loader option without being on Vista.

The last boot mgr you "installed" was Vista, so your going to have to modify its "boot.ini" file, but this has changed in Vista/7. There is not longer a boot.ini file directly.

1. Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel,
clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

2. In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. If you
are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the
password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Startup and
Recovery, click Settings.

4. Under System startup, choose a default operating system and
the amount of time to display the list of operating systems, and then click
OK.

You can also use the "bcdedit" command in the command prompt (Start > Run > CMD). In your case I believe the command would be :
bcdedit /timeout 30 (30 would be the seconds you want for timeout).

There are other options you can set, so do "bcdedit /?" to see them all
EDIT: you can also use Start > Run > msconfig , then choose the boot tab and change the timout there. ONE of these ways has to work :D

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731662(WS.10).aspx

Last edited:
Even if the boot time is 0 seconds, you should be able to mash the arrow keys to prevent it from automatically starting, try that , and post back

Back