• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dual 80mm radiators? Or something else.

Z

Zinn

Guest
I'm thinking about water cooling and considering radiators. My case only has 80mm fan mounts in it, and I'd really like to avoid modding it for bigger mounting solutions if possible.

I was looking at the Swiftech MCR80 radiator:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc80ra.html

It appears that this could be mounted to 80mm holes. I assume that performance wouldn't be on par with a 120mm radiator. If I were to get two of these would I get enough cooling?

Or is there something better a guy with a cramped case could do?
 
a single 120mm rad performs better than a dual 80mm..........and most serious users use a double 120 if they are cooling CPU and GPU.

have you looked at the swiftech radbox? if you're using 3/8 ID tubing you can use a PCI pass-through and if you're using 1/2" tubing you just need to drill two holes in the back of your case.
 
You know, I hadn't considered the radbox, but that sounds like a pretty good idea. I heard some people had a problem with tube kinking when using the radbox, but that was with drilling holes directly underneath. I would be using 3/8" ID (1/2" OD) tubing, so I could probably pass through the third PCI slot and it would hopefully not kink up this way.

Thanks for the idea. I'm not planning on WCing the GPUs (they're already silenced and cool with the NV Silencer 5s) but my CPU needs all the cooling it can get right now!
 
Hmm, one thing that concerns me about the radbox would be that mounting a Dual 120mm radiator to it might cause it to hang down and block my VGA port. Is this true?
 
it hangs down there, but it's made so that the connectors should clear unless you are using some kind of cable adaptor.
 
Zinn I like your case Thats like the one I gave My Daughter.

I know you said that You didn' want to mod the casa but think about One of these

http://www.thermochill.com/pa160.php

Go to a rent in save in your town rent a hole saw 41/2 ' and this would serve you well.

Its really simple also. Figure out were you want the hole in the top of the case and Drill it very neat professonal hole in 1 minute. use your fan grill as a patern for the fan screws very simple mod job .
 
thermochill has a 1:1 cutting and drill template that you can print out as well........i didn't suggest that rad because it's expensive and requires modding of the case. does the width even work out for that? i know that it wouldn't fit in my own case......

http://www.thermochill.com/guides.php
 
Yes the Rad will fit but requires a little more modding than stated. That rad is the premium part that you can buy . so yes its a little more expensive and offers less fan noise.

Zinn Because I am Zinn2b If you send me your case I will mod it at no charge and it will look so sweat. You just pay for shipping.
 
$BangforThe$ said:
Yes the Rad will fit but requires a little more modding than stated. That rad is the premium part that you can buy . so yes its a little more expensive and offers less fan noise.

Zinn Because I am Zinn2b If you send me your case I will mod it at no charge and it will look so sweat. You just pay for shipping.
That's cool thanks for the offer though :)

There's no way in hell I can afford WC right now. I'm doing my research now and I'll buy sometime during the summer.
 
While a 120 will be better the dual 80 will suffice for the typical watercooling setup.
 
Top Nurse said:
While a 120 will be better the dual 80 will suffice for the typical watercooling setup.
perhaps, but will it result in a real reduction in noise vs good air cooling?

this is an honest question. i went straight to BIX2 and then a second BIX2.
 
Back
Top