Dual 6970 Crossfire + Eyefinity Locking up

Basically, about 15-20 minutes of gameplay in Diablo 3, Deus Ex HR, Crysis 2, the entire thing hard locks and the monitors all say please check display cable.

Games are being played at 3240x1920 across 3 Dell U2312HMs. Rest of the specs are in my sig.

The cards are right aganist each other due to the way my Gigabyte board is laid out, but I removed the backplate off of the one card, so it has more room for air to come through.

Both cards are reference based. One is a 6950 MSI that has been unlocked to 6970, the other is a PowerColor 6970. I have tried reversing the cards to no difference.

Between this and the whole screen tearing issues, I'm quite disappointed. :( Finally got 3 monitors and its been a headache for a lot of it.

I'm not certain if this makes a difference but I play World of Warcraft in windowed mode and it is stable.

When you are playing in windowed mode crossfire is disabled, so it's just using whatever card all of you monitors are plugged into. I'd venture to guess that this card is your 6970? What temperatures are you hitting? It's possible that your unlock didn't work quite right, or it's not accepting 6970 memory/core clockspeeds. I would try rolling back to stock 6950 clocks among other things.

Between this and the whole screen tearing issues, I'm quite disappointed. :( Finally got 3 monitors and its been a headache for a lot of it.

No doubt. Bought a 6990 and 3 24" monitors. connected all 3 via mini displayport to displayport.

Eyefinity was nothing but tearing on all 3 monitors. Returned the 6990 and swapped in 2 580's. No tearing ever.

No doubt. Bought a 6990 and 3 24" monitors. connected all 3 via mini displayport to displayport.

Eyefinity was nothing but tearing on all 3 monitors. Returned the 6990 and swapped in 2 580's. No tearing ever.

If you connected all of your monitors via. displayport then you definitely should not have had tearing issues.... That was caused by running a mixed mode of DVI/DP and typically occured on the odd monitor out of the group. I'm running mine all out of DP ports (Asus 6950 DC2) and don't ever get tearing.

If you connected all of your monitors via. displayport then you definitely should not have had tearing issues.... That was caused by running a mixed mode of DVI/DP and typically occured on the odd monitor out of the group. I'm running mine all out of DP ports (Asus 6950 DC2) and don't ever get tearing.

this

I have the odd DVI monitor on the side now and it is not nearly so annoying...still a bit disappointing I must say.

OP, I am betting thermals, get an OSD up and watch your temps as it gets ready to lock.

So I've read but I had it in every game I played. Enabled triple buffering, Vsync, different drivers. Didn't matter. The tearing was on every monitor in every game.

I'm hitting around 80c as far as I can tell.

In full screen, the fans start to ramp up. I've tried both the 6970 and the 6950 as the main card, both do the same thing.

I had a similar issue when Crossfire was enabled. My solution was uninstalling Sapphire Trixx (OC software) and I haven't had any BSODs/locks since. This was happening even at stock clocks with Trixx installed. I've read this can happen with MSI Afterburner as well, so if you've got that installed, I'd try to eliminate that.

No Afterburner installed. Just the stock drivers.

I'm thinking of reinstalling my OS and all that, and seeing if that'd make any difference.

I think there may be an issue with the PowerColor 6970, as its fan likes to make a weird noise like it's whirling up and down repeatedly.

PowerColor sent me this card as a replacement for their 6950 PCS++ that had a manufacturing defect and did not come as they sold it.

I've tried contacting their RMA department before about this fan issue and they completely are ignoring me. Guess my lifetime warranty is fucking garbage.

I also get the screen tearing issue on my 3rd display that is DVI. I also have a 4th display that is hooked up via DVI. I don't see why the 4th display would cause any effects, but that does it too.

Basically what happens after it does this, the sound streams to my G930 will continue playing, then it goes dead silent after a few minutes, after what I'm going to assume Windows crashes because the video cards went MIA.

jQvlD.jpg

Okay. I fired up MSI Kombuster (MSI's branded version of Furmark), set to Open GL3 so it does the crossfire, and this is basically happening within 2 minutes.

The fan starts to sound like its going up and down even though I have the software forcing the fan speed at 100% (God it's loud as fuck). The card is at all stock clocks and power. It will start to downclock itself but the tempature will not go down no matter what.

I had issues with this card before and PowerColor basically ignored my previous RMA... I set up another one.

Is there a PowerColor rep on this board? This is a nightmare, and between the 6950 PCS++ bait and switch feeling and then this going kaput and their lack of customer support so far, I'm currently recommending to my friends and family to run far away from this brand.

102C is obviously way too high. Can you post a picture of how close together those cards are? Adequate case ventilation?

I wonder if you could use one of those PCIe riser connectors that bitcoin people were using in order to space the cards out one slot width.

102C is obviously way too high. Can you post a picture of how close together those cards are? Adequate case ventilation?

I wonder if you could use one of those PCIe riser connectors that bitcoin people were using in order to space the cards out one slot width.

Case is an Antec 1200. No drives are mounted in the cage directly in front of the two video cards and that fan is on high. There is also a fan on the door blowing air as well. The MSI 6950, which is the top card (due to issues with the PowerColor card), runs like a champ (I do not know why it is labeling the 6970 as GPU1 when it is actually GPU2).

Unfortunately, in terms of ventilation, it's the absolute best I can do. But again, I'm not having any issues with the MSI card and it never seems to get past 85. The PowerColor is going skitzo. I'm not sure if it's a real legit issue or a defective sensor or what, but this thing is hardcore fubared.

I remember when I took them out and moved them left and right while trying to see if the fans were spinning and dusting them out when I first really started to have issues, the PowerColor made a hissing noise, then a bunch of gurgling noises that died out after a few minutes, kind of like a car's radiator :confused:

NTrDK.jpg

hissing? gurgling?

well there is the problem, the steam powered GPUs are not compatible with the electric ones

Back