dual 24" or single 30"

What would you get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tommyxv

Limp Gawd
Looks like dell has the 2008 30" model on sale...$1245 after all discount plus shipping. Would like opinions on either gong with one 30" or dual 24" monitors.

Thanks!

personally id go for one massive monitor unless you trade stocks and stuff.

one big ass monitor is simple and easier to deal with on a daily basis.

Looks like dell has the 2008 30" model on sale...$1245 after all discount plus shipping. Would like opinions on either gong with one 30" or dual 24" monitors.

Thanks!
ecstatic.gif
wave.gif

One 30" ;)

Depends on what you do. If it's gaming, I'd take the 30" no question. Anything else, it's your choice. Two monitors are always fun to have.

Thanks!

it's coming as $1,339 on the site. did you use a coupon?

TIA

go to http://www.dell.com/epp

skip the fill in box and choose 1st option in drop down (or anyone really)

at check out it will be $1245.47 with free ground shipping. I buy all my dell stuff like this without an actual epp number. Never had problem. :)

Depends on what you do. If it's gaming, I'd take the 30" no question. Anything else, it's your choice. Two monitors are always fun to have.

Yeah, for gaming. I play ARMA now mostly....waiting for ARMA2 to come out.

Personally, i would say 3x 24 is where its at. Comparing 2x24 to 30 and the 30 will be better.

3 x 24"....Don't think the main games that I play support 3 monitors or even two. I like the extra room of multimonitors. I used to have dual 20: benQs a while back. I was doing lots of web design and photo editing...but now it's mostly games. It looks like one 2008 Dell 30" might be bought today while it is on sale. :confused:

personally id go for one massive monitor unless you trade stocks and stuff.

one big ass monitor is simple and easier to deal with on a daily basis.

I agree. I went from a 21" + 22" monitor to a single 30" and it's much easier to deal with plus the higher vertical resolution is very useful.

Buy the 30" and just grab a cheapish 24" later if you feel you need more space.

two 30" not in the budget....would be nice. Looks like the poll is showing 50/50 now. Im still undecided. This is a tuff one. :eek:

2 24's are probably cheaper (depends on models involved obviously), offer more choice of model (which is irrelevant if you find an excellent 30" display), offer more total screen space, and leave you with one working screen even if one fails. Also allows for odd configurations like 1 TN for gaming, 1 IPS for photographic work, if such a setup would be of use. You could then replace only one or the other if, say, a better gaming screen came out but your work screen was still the best available.

30" hands down. A ton more useful and you don't have to worry about positioning different things on different screens. Its just much easier to manage. And its not like you are going to be gaming on both screens at once, unless you want a big black bar in the middle of the screen. Therefore a single 30 > single 24.

I'd go 2x24's because two monitors make my job easier. I'm using a 26" and a 19" at home. If I wanted a big monitor, I'd just hook it up to the 55" in the living room or the 40" in the bedroom. My 26" is about as high as I want to go with my current desk either way. Take into consideration how close you sit to the monitor.

I thought the 30" would be a landslide...Everyone's opinions have be very helpful but still undecided. Will wait it out a bit longer before I pull the trigger on the purchase.

Personally I wouldn't want the need to buy hardware that can run modern PC games on 30 inches of screen real estate. I have 2 x 22'' myself and I'd quite happy with it. It's easier to do certain things with two screens. Adobe Lightroom 2.0 is great with dual screens [pic] and sometimes I watch a TV show or something on the right screen and browse the web on the left.

Your choice should depend on whatever it is you do with your computer. If you're not as concerned with keeping track of a bunch of things, get the single huge screen,

Personally I wouldn't want the need to buy hardware that can run modern PC games on 30 inches of screen real estate.
You can run at any resolution you want, so it's not like it requires expensive HW. Then people argue about wanting to run at native res, but my 3 arguments against that are: 1) you can still run a 30" at 1920x1200 1:1 mode so you utilize a 24" square in the middle and it's just like having a 24", 2) 1280x800 is an easy res for video cards while being full-screen native, 3) for gaming, the bigger the better for the sake of emersiveness, and I'd rather play on a 30" non-native than <=24" native.

One other thing: fast video cards have gotten cheap. For under $200 you can get a GTX260-216 that handles 2560x1600 fine in many games. Many non-30" buyers would get one of those anyway.

30'' + X

When using two similar monitors you'd probably end up only using one screen of them most of the time.

30'' would give you more space on the main screen than putting two 20'' next to each other in portrait..
After getting used to not maximizing everything it will work fine for most tasks you'd otherwise need two monitors for. (there are 2304000 pixels on a 24'', 4096000 on 30''...)

If you need a 2nd screen to keep a text window open while maximizing on the 30'' you could still get a cheap sub 22'' screen in addition.

i have 2x 30" and wouldnt go back to a single screen.

suppose once you go dual you get used to spreading your self around,:D even if your thinking of a single 30";)

you couldnt find enough wild horses to drag me away from mine:p

i have 2x 30" and wouldnt go back to a single screen.

suppose once you go dual you get used to spreading your self around... 24 or 30":D, even if your thinking of a single 30";)

imagine buying a single bed (24") then looking at a double bed (2x 24" or in my case king size 2x 30"):D:D:D:D

you couldnt find enough wild horses or rabid dogs;) to drag me away from mine:p

(Sorry for the double post as i hd to elaborate the answer better:D:D:D )

48" beats 30".

e-peen baby!

2 x 24" != 48"
To get 48" you would have to get 4 x 24" monitors...

The 30" has 70% more pixels and about 70% more space than a 24" monitor.

If going the 30" route you still have much use for a second monitor. Large monitors in all it's glory but you can't really compare size to number of monitors. As said, it depends on what your doing.
2x24" has it's advantages over a single 30" (as do the 30") but if you were to get a 20" pivoted display alongside the 30" that would take care of most arguments for the dual 24" setup.

It's much about personal preferences though, have in mind that the quality of the 24" will probably be better than the 30" (if you do your reserach) so if thats a big deal that should be taken into account. Personally I think that 24" may to be too wide and too short on the height. But then again I haven't used such a setup.

30" hands down. A ton more useful and you don't have to worry about positioning different things on different screens. Its just much easier to manage. And its not like you are going to be gaming on both screens at once, unless you want a big black bar in the middle of the screen. Therefore a single 30 > single 24.

Actually, I'd say it's the other way around. With a 30" you have to position your windows a lot to get much out of it. With two monitors it's much easier since you have clear boundaries. As most people that have used multiple monitors for a while would probably agree that it isn't only the added space it's the clear separation of the two. You can use fullscreenapps and still have space over for instructions, surfing, TV, whatever.

I'd go with one 30" and then for your second monitor use a 20 or 22" and turn it sideways so that it's the same height as your primary 30" but a narrow-width. That might work well. I know that if I turn a 17" LCD sideways it matches my 24" height and looks nice.

If I was still doing a ton of graphic design at home I'd still go w/ a primary 30" and then possibly a smaller secondary for other apps.

Agree with brumwald- a single monitor, even a large one, means more fussing about if you're trying to multi-task. 2 monitors makes it easier to clearly divide windows, and even maximize them without actually covering your whole desktop. Of course once Win7 is released the "snap position/resize" action will make working on a single monitor easier, but mutli-monitor will still have advantages.

Of course 30" is epic for gaming.

Basically, how do you spend your time? More time gaming = 1x30, more time working = 2x24.

( Personally I remember when most people's TVs were smaller than 30, I don't think I could handle a 30 on my desk, 2-3 feet in front of me. )

I would get the 30, especially if you are gaming, and even so a 30 would have more space to move your windows around if you are working on multiple things.

30" if you primarily game.....(2) 24" if its for work
More time gaming = 1x30, more time working = 2x24.
As someone who uses 2 monitors at work and 1 30" at home, I find it easier to work on the 30". The massive workspace gives full flexibility and it takes very little time to resize windows. 1600 vertical pixels are superior for code writing, viewing webpages, and Excel.

Back