dual 2011 boaard advice

newbs

Gawd
So I have 2 extra spicy 1.6 ghz 2011 cpu's and I am looking for a board that I can run them on and overclock them some. Also are there any single cpu mb's that may work for just testing them? I have a gigabyte board and it will not boot with them. Thanks Just want to get them folding if I can.

What stepping code is printed on the chips

it will start with a Q

If you feel adventurous:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1778672

This is a fairly sketchy seller, so i would recommend him shipping first if you go this route. Read the entire thread - these boards use a non-standard power connection. But, I'd guess $100 or less for a 2p board. I have no idea if it will support your chips, but Asus tends to be pretty good at ES support in general.

Beyond that, I'd say any Asus or SuperMicro board will have as good a chance any any of supporting your procs. I wouldn't bother with a single 2011 board.

how many cores are they? i am going out on a limb and guessing since they are 1.6ghz they are also of the A revision, but yes, let us know the Q code.

also, with the gigabyte board, you might be able to downgrade the bios to the very first one to see if it will boot one of the chips.

the gigabyte board was the release bios when I was trying them, the cpu's are q19j. They are hex cores.

I just started playing with 2011 yesterday since I picked up a 3820 for 200 and had an open box 2011 board I got for 100 awhile ago. So far it's only upto 4.5 on basic cooling and minor tweaking and pulling in about 30k ppd.

Q19J - A stepping, there is no guarantee that any mobo will still have bios compatibility and the chips were flaky as hell in 2p, You could try an asus z9pe but it depends on how much money you want to sink into this.

If that gigabyte is a single socket board i'm not surprised, the bios probably does not recognise the cpu

500 or 600 hundred seems like to much when for that price might as well get a 780 and on it or put it towards another titan. Wonder if there are any hardfolders that have what is needed to test them for me.

Yeah, the Asus Z9PE is going to be your best bet, but even then it's going to be hit and miss. I've got a pair of B stepping 2665's work in my Z9PE-D16 but won't boot in my EVGA SR-X.

500 or 600 hundred seems like to much when for that price might as well get a 780 and on it or put it towards another titan. Wonder if there are any hardfolders that have what is needed to test them for me.

I have 2 q19j's. Tested them on my z9pe, z9pa, and supermicro x9drd and none of them booted. Didn't think to look at bios version though. I'd say if you want to still venture into 2011 land, you should procure some chips that are at least b stepping. Good luck.

The only way that they can be tested is to find someone with an mobo that has a original release or 1st update BIOS on their mobo, support for the A* stepping chips was removed shortly afterwards and most people will have probably flashed to a newer version

If you were in Europe I could test them for you but if you are in the states the postage is going to be ridiculous

Seems like the best idea might be to abandon them. As for postage I'm not sure it's been ages since I sent something over there,last time I shipped over there it was a dual athlon xp setup and amazingly it was only like 20 for mb and cpu's and coolers.

I don't want to put you off but you could be in for a lot of heartache with those cpu's. You could be lucky and find a mobo that will take them but you may not, especially if you do not want to sink a large amount of money into it

How much did you pay for the cpu's?

I don't want to put you off but you could be in for a lot of heartache with those cpu's. You could be lucky and find a mobo that will take them but you may not, especially if you do not want to sink a large amount of money into it

How much did you pay for the cpu's?

i just checked the version of my SuperMicro motherboard bios and it is 1.0a and even such an early bios doesn't support the Q19J.

Back