Dual 12V with older socket A system...

djspl

n00b
So I have this little mATX computer with the Biostar M7NCG400 motherboard. This motherboard has no 4 pin power socket (I think this is the "P4" connector), it only has 1 20 pin coonector for power to the motherboard.

I'm running a super small case, I bought the Fortron FSP300 power supply to replace the empty box with some wires that came with the case.
System:
Athlon XP Barton @ 1.65V
2 x 256 RAM
1 IDE HDD
1 DVD rom
9800 Pro
2 x 60 mm and 1 x 80 mm fans.

The power supply is marked:
12V1 = 8 amps = yellow wires
12V2 = 14.5 amps = yellow/black wires
The only place I see yellow/black wires is on the 4 pin connector that my motherboard does not utilize. All other connectors have yellow only wires (with no black stripe).

Question:
Since I am not using the 4 pin connector am I able to draw power from 12V2 rail?

Can I take the yellow/black out of the 4 pin and plug it into where the 2 yellow wires are on the motherboard 20 pin or should I use the yellow/ black in a dedicated molex to the 9800 Pro and run everything else off of 12V1?

This is my first dual 12V power supply so I'm a little confused about how it works. Is this computer a candidate for a single 12V power supply?

Thanks for any help.

djspl said:
Question:
Since I am not using the 4 pin connector am I able to draw power from 12V2 rail?

Can I take the yellow/black out of the 4 pin and plug it into where the 2 yellow wires are on the motherboard 20 pin

I wouldn't suggest that.

djspl said:
...or should I use the yellow/ black in a dedicated molex to the 9800 Pro and run everything else off of 12V1?

That makes more sense if your include to crimp the pins on for the new connector.

djspl said:
This is my first dual 12V power supply so I'm a little confused about how it works. Is this computer a candidate for a single 12V power supply?

Yes.

Thanks jonnyGURU, 1 more question:
If I dedicate dedicate the 12V2 to the 9800 pro will the rest of the system be fine off of the 12V1 rail?

Or should I send this one back and gor for one of these:

Coolmax
or
Just PC

The style without fan protruding out of the bottom is required. Active PFC would have made it sweeter, but if it's not going ot work I'll settle for the best quality without it.

I've already gone through one of these, Diablo junk which started showing wild voltages and shutting down at the launch of 3D games when I switched from a 9600XT to the 9800 pro. I learned my lesson on that one.

They meant that PSU to have 12V1 to run everything and 12V2 to run your CPU. Your CPU is regulated off of the 5V rail, so the only thing you're doing differently is hooking 12V2 up to the aux conn on a video card. Should be fine.

Back